Football: Defense ready to avoid letdown against Boilermakers

Badgers haven’t lost to Purdue since 2004
Andrew Salewski

There will be no letdown Saturday at Camp Randall Stadium when Purdue takes on Wisconsin — at least not on Michael Caputo’s watch.

“We have to win out,” Caputo said. “We can’t afford any hiccups anymore … act like every game is a trophy game.”

The Badgers are coming off two highly-contested, emotional games against rivals Iowa and Nebraska — both with trophies on the line. The Boilermakers haven’t put up a real test in the last decade.

Over the two teams’ last seven meetings, UW’s average margin-of-victory over Purdue is 29.6. Since 2004, the Badgers have won 10 matchups in a row.

Still, defensive coordinator Dave Aranda expects a challenge for his unit, which has allowed only 13 points at home in four games this season.

Purdue redshirt freshman quarterback Austin Appleby’s running ability presents some matchup problems, Aranda said.

“He doesn’t mind getting dirty,” he said. “I think he plays better when he’s getting hit.”

Along with Appleby in the backfield, Purdue has two explosive running backs to add potency to the offense. True freshman Markell Jones has erupted thus far, averaging 6.2 yards per carry and has found the end zone five times. Sophomore D.J. Knox has scored twice this season and averages 3.9 yards per carry.

Aranda expects the Purdue coaching staff to draw up plays to get those guys in space and allow them to catch the ball out of the backfield.

“They’re probably the most skillful guys on that offense,” Aranda said. “Much like last year, they can go the distance on you.”

Concerned about stretch plays, Aranda said inside linebackers T.J. Edwards and Chris Orr have to do a better job of squaring those runs up. Aranda confirmed Wednesday junior inside linebacker Leon Jacobs would miss the remainder of the season with a toe injury, limiting the depth at that position.

On the offensive side of the ball, the Badgers have put up just 29 points in the first two games of Big Ten play. The struggles on third down have continued, forcing the defense to step up drive after drive.

Football: Benzschawel taking advantage of starting role

Still, Caputo said the defense’s trust in the offense has never been stronger.

“We know what they can do,” Caputo said. “It’s just that some things roll our way and some things don’t.

“As a defense, our confidence in the offense is very high. It needs to be for the offense to get rolling. It needs to be for us as a defense to go out and perform,” Caputo said.