Football: Emphasis on turnovers pays off in Wisconsin’s blowout win

Badgers intercept three passes, recover fumble in 58-0 victory
Joey Reuteman

For the first time in a season and a half, the Wisconsin football team intercepted the opposing team more than once.

The Badgers’ safety combination of Leo Musso and Tanner McEvoy picked Miami (Ohio) quarterbacks Billy Bahl and Drew Kummer three times Saturday.

The last time the Badgers did that was Nov. 2, 2013 at Iowa.

Musso had two interceptions, and was the first Badger to record multiple picks in a game since Chris Maragos did it against Michigan State on Sept. 26, 2009.

Forcing turnovers is an identity third-year defensive coordinator Dave Aranda has tried to create at Wisconsin, and Saturday’s defensive performance showed his players are buying into the mentality.

“As a defense, we kind of gotta find our identity,” Musso said. “I think that’s what we want our identity to be: a defense that flies around and makes a lot of plays.”

Musso’s first chance at an interception came with 3:58 remaining in the first quarter, and Kummer’s errant pass hit Musso in the chest but the redshirt junior later said he couldn’t get a clear sight of the path of the ball, and missed it.

He’d redeem himself the very next play.

Fifth-year senior safety Michael Caputo tipped a Kummer pass high in the air, and there was Musso, who hauled it in cleanly this time.

“It was kinda crappy,” Musso said of missing his first chance. “But I’m happy we got the second opportunity. Caputo made a great play.”

McEvoy’s interception came on a corner blitz, and McEvoy became responsible for the receiver outside. He jumped the route and had a clear path to the end zone, but was tackled at the four-yard line.

McEvoy said he’d like to score on the return, but that the defense did what they expect every game.

“The defense had a great day,” McEvoy said. “We held them to zero, which is our goal.”

The interceptions were Musso’s second and third of his career and McEvoy’s second at Wisconsin. Both of their previous interceptions came in 2013.

Junior cornerback Sojourn Shelton forced a fumble on a punt in the first quarter. Long-snapper Connor Udelhoven recovered and set the Badgers up in prime field position at Miami’s 14-yard line.

Head coach Paul Chryst said forcing turnovers will continue to be a point of emphasis for the defense.

“I actually thought we missed on a couple more,” Chryst said. “When they have a chance to give you something, you’ve gotta be able to seize that opportunity. I thought we did.”