Despite victory, Wisconsin defensive unit unable to build on previous expectations

In some ways Wisconsin's defeat of Indiana was a breakthrough game for the Badger defense. Forcing a pair of fumbles, recovering both and snaring two interceptions, the Badger defense displayed an increased level of playmaking ability Saturday.

Yet listening to coaches and players discuss their performance after the game, it was clear Wisconsin was far from satisfied with their effort.

"I thought our defense played very well at times," head coach Barry Alvarez said. "But again gave up some very easy plays."

Wisconsin's Achilles' heel was the deep passing game. Facing a team with a sophomore signal caller in Blake Powers, and a quartet of freshman wide receivers leading the passing attack, the Badgers struggled.

Powers sliced through the Badger defense for 244 yards and three touchdowns, including an 83-yard touchdown toss to freshman James Hardy and a 46-yard touchdown to classmate James Bailey.

"We really need to continue to play four quarters. We didn't play all four quarters today and we let some things get behind us. Sometimes we competed and other times we didn't," said free safety Roderick Rogers.

"They had some deep passes on us. … I'm not really concerned about the other teams yet, but teams can see that they can be successful against us on the deep pass. So as a secondary we just have to get better and defend that more," he added.

On Bailey's catch, the Hoosiers lined up with three wide receivers on one side and faked a bubble screen to wideout Brandon Walker-Roby. All three Wisconsin corners bit on the fake and Indiana's remaining two receivers streaked down the field leaving only Rogers to cover both receivers, resulting in the score.

"I don't think they've probably seen that fake bubble screen," Alvarez said of his young secondary. "We asked them to jump up in there and play press man and I thought they did a pretty good job. I think it will help them. Every week they should get a little better."

Defensive coordinator Bret Bielema also admitted that his squad endured heightened expectations following the Michigan game, goals that he believes are a little too lofty at this point of the season.

"Nothing is going to come easy for this team," Bielema said. "I think we all know that we have to get everything out of them we can at any given time. No one expected us to do the things we did [against Michigan], and everyone had high expectations going into this game, but the truth of the matter is we're probably somewhere in between."

But not all of the discussion was about the Badgers' mistakes. There was also a high level of enthusiasm surrounding the defense's penchant for forcing turnovers. Wisconsin posted a season-high four turnovers, including a pair of interceptions from freshman cornerbacks Allen Langford and Jack Ikegwuonu.

"It was surreal … a dream come true," Ikegwuonu said of his interception in the first quarter. "I think every kid growing up dreams about making a big play like that for the Badgers, but I need to make more plays like that. Coach is counting on me to step up. That's the way I'm looking at it."

While the big plays certainly helped the Badgers recover from other defensive miscues, senior cornerback Brett Bell believes the defense's performance on an off day shows how talented the squad is.

"It shows whoever is watching and paying attention that if we don't play well we're still a good team," Bell said. "To be honest, I don't think we'll play like that again. From that game I think we learned that we don't want to come out like that again."