Spotlight shining on Kirsch

Listening to Purdue quarterback Brandon Kirsch speak, you’d never get the sense he wasn’t in complete control.

Sitting at a round table surrounded by reporters at the Big Ten’s annual Media Day in Chicago, he fields questions about everything from the new freshmen, the returning defense, even Penn State recruiting practices, without a single hint of anxiety or uncertainty, like he’s been doing it forever. Truthfully, it’s impressive listening to Kirsch answer questions. He’s honest, funny and gives no hint that his answers are rehearsed or un-genuine. He’s in complete control.

And that’s the way he likes it.

It’s easy to understand Kirsch’s affinity for control. The Lebanon, Pa., native has waited patiently for three years to get his chance at being the top signal-caller behind center.

“I take it as a challenge,” Kirsch said of finally getting his chance to start.

Kirsch had the misfortune to join the Boilermakers the year after Purdue great and current Chicago Bears quarterback, Kyle Orton. Kirsch gave Orton a brief push for playing time during his true freshman year, starting four contests and amassing 1,067 yards before ceding the starting role to Orton and watching him become one of the top passers in Purdue history.

But this year, the tables have turned, and it appears Lady Luck is finally smiling down on the patient Kirsch. He couldn’t wish for a better situation to step into if he tried, as the senior is set to lead a Boilermaker squad that boasts 20 returning starters and 32 total seniors.

But with such a veteran squad comes exceptional expectations, set forth first and foremost by head coach Joe Tiller.

“One would suggest with the pieces of the puzzle in place, for the most part, we’ll go as the quarterback position goes,” Tiller said. “If we perform well at that position, we feel like we’ll have a better team this year than we did last year.”

Kirsch won’t refute his coach’s statements; instead, he agrees wholeheartedly that this season’s success rests on his shoulders.

“Coach Tiller is right in that aspect that we have 11 proven starters back on defense, seven proven starters back on offense and the rest are kind of fill-in positions: receivers that have played a lot in the past, running backs that have played in the past and the linemen that have played in the past,” Kirsch said.

“I think my playing in the past wasn’t that consistent and, at the quarterback position, you need to have consistent playing time to understand what’s going on, so I guess the only question mark on the field this year is me, and he’s right in that aspect.”

While much of the returning talent will be on the defensive side of the ball, Kirsch will be far from alone on the offensive side. Joining Kirsch on his own side of the ball will be a club almost identical to the crew directed by Orton last year. Gone are linemen Tyler Moore and David Owen, as well as the NCAA’s all-time leader in receptions, Taylor Stubblefield, but the rest of the team remains intact. Kyle Ingraham, Dorian Bryant and Charles Davis, Purdue’s second, third and fourth leading receivers last year, all return, as well as fifth-year senior Jared Void at running back.

Kirsch will also have a pair of highly touted freshman targets to help him through the season in Greg Orton and Selwyn Lymon. Lymon was rated the No. 22 player in the nation by SuperPrep, while Orton was rated the No. 19 best receiver in the nation by the same publication.

“I think Greg Orton is going to be very good,” Kirsch said. “He’s got a good body on him, great hands and he gets down the field for you. Really didn’t get the opportunity to see too many other freshmen when I got out of school this year, but Greg Orton really impressed me.”

But make no mistake about it: the self-proclaimed “crazy gambler type” knows that even with many of the same targets his predecessor possessed at his disposal, he still needs to prove he can be as effective as the last two Purdue quarterbacks.

“I’m an experienced new guy, meaning I’ve been there before and I know what to expect,” Kirsch said. “I’ve played in big stadiums and on big teams and I welcome the challenge, and I’m very anxious to get started.”