Badgers look local after securing postseason berth

With the Big Ten schedule and a Big Ten tournament birth in the rearview mirror, the UW women’s soccer team (11-4-1, 5-4-1) shifts their focus to a pair of in-state rivals. The Badgers will face off against UW-Milwaukee this afternoon at Engelmann Field in Milwaukee before returning to the friendly confines of the McClimon Sports Complex for Sunday’s 1:00 match-up against the Phoenix of UW-Green Bay.

This afternoon’s 3:00 match against Milwaukee features a pair of teams who enter the game with impressive recent success. The Badgers enter the game with a 5-1-0 record in their last six matches, while the Panthers enter with a 7-0-1 clip in their last eight and a five-game winning streak.

“This is a team that … is finding a way to get wins. It’s not just about playing pretty soccer, it’s about finding ways to win,” UW head coach Dean Duerst said. “But right now, it’s a chance to beat their winning streak and a chance for us to go in and again show what we’re made of.”

The Panthers, who currently stand atop the Horizon League standings, will pose quite an offensive challenge for the Badgers. During their current eight-match unbeaten streak the Panthers have given up only two goals, with Panther freshman goalkeeper Elizabeth Weirick earning one shutout and senior Kerri St. Aubin pitching five shutouts, including last Sunday’s double overtime shutout against Butler.

“They are probably going to sit back, and we already know Milwaukee does this, they play a 4-5-1, which is packing the numbers in the midfield,” Duerst said. “There’s going to be a lot of these little loose chances around the boxes. They’re going to pack the boxes a little bit, so we are going to have to find a way to jump out on loose things.”

The game will also hold special significance for Wisconsin assistant coach Mary Duffy, a former goaltender for the Panthers from 1998-2002. Mary’s sister, Molly, also currently plays for the Panthers. This marks the second straight match Wisconsin has played against a team with ties to a current assistant coach.

“She’s very excited,” Duerst said of Duffy. “But it’s one of those things where she knows the importance of the game, and we’ve discussed that as a team. Our goal is to win the state and this is the first game in that mission.”

This weekend’s Thursday/Sunday schedule marks the first time all season the ladies have deviated from their traditional Friday/Sunday weekend schedule. While the Badgers have faced teams that have enjoyed the extra rest, it’s now the Badgers’ turn to enjoy the break prior to Sunday’s match.

“It’s a little different rhythm in the week and you look at a different way of doing things,” Duerst said. “(But) the little extra rest is always nice.”

In Sunday’s match, the Badgers face a team they have never lost to in the UW-Green Bay Phoenix (3-8-2). The Badgers hold a 10-0 advantage since the birth of the rivalry in 1987. In those ten games the Badgers have outscored the Phoenix by an astounding 46-2 margin. Despite the success, Duerst emphasized his team’s need to avoid complacency.

“It’s a little less pressure than the conference in terms of that kind of unique pressure, but we want them to feel that pressure because as a group we’re understanding how to deal with pressure and we’re understanding how to compete,” Duerst said.

The Phoenix offense is lead by forward Stephanie Gross, who has four goals and four assists for twelve points on the year. Despite Gross’ play, the Phoenix have managed only 15 goals all year, forcing the defense to carry the load. For the year, the Phoenix have allowed 21 goals.

A strong showing from the Badgers this weekend is vital to the success of the Badgers in a possible NCAA tournament birth, Duerst said.

“We need to close out, what we need to do is make sure our players understand the importance of each of these games, because it leads to NCAA play and it could potentially mean a home bid down the line versus going away and traveling in the NCAA first round,” Duerst said.