No soup for OSU

The final countdown to Wisconsin’s matchup with Ohio State has officially begun.

All the hype created by the media, the months of anticipation and countless hours of waiting in line will all culminate into a single day of ruckus come tomorrow.

The Buckeyes are the No. 3-ranked team in the country and haven’t lost a ball game since Jan. 1, 2002.

And, oh yeah, they’re also the defending national champions because of a “great” pass-interference call in last year’s Fiesta Bowl.

But these aren’t the only reasons why I’ve personally been looking forward to Saturday night’s showdown.

Above all else, I just hate Ohio State.

While I must admit my hatred for Michigan goes much deeper, OSU has to be a close second.

Last season, the Badgers entered their matchup with the Buckeyes in dire need of a win.

They had lost their opening two conference games, Bollinger was under constant scrutiny and UW’s bowl chances appeared to be slipping away.

Playing with the support of an exceptionally raucous crowd, Wisconsin actually went into half time with a 14-13 lead over the favored Buckeyes.

Jim Sorgi had just hooked up with Jonathan Orr for a 42-yard touchdown strike, and Wisconsin had all the momentum heading into the second half.

UW looked poised to complete the upset — but unfortunately, would end up losing 19-14.

Other than the loss to Michigan the season before, I’ve never been as irate leaving Camp Randall as I was after this particular loss.

Another reason why I hate Ohio State is because it has some of the most overrated players in the country.

At the top of that list: Maurice Clarett.

After being suspended for infractions ranging from falsifying police reports to cheating on exams, Clarett has decided to sue his way into the NFL instead of rejoining the Buckeyes next season.

While his freshman campaign was indeed impressive, he was unable to stay healthy during a 14-game season against college-level defenders.

So, why would he stay healthy throughout a 16-game schedule in the N.F.L.?

His durability aside, many football pundits and scouts have said he is not nearly as great as advertised and, at best, would be an early second-rounder.

The excess hype on OSU’s roster doesn’t end with Mo-C, however.

Chris Gamble, listed as a flanker/cornerback for Ohio State, made ESPN.com’s Heisman watch list heading into the 2003 season.

According to Ohio State’s media guide, OSU head coach Jim Tressel has actually compared Gamble to former Vikings’ great Cris Carter, whom he coached while an assistant for the Buckeyes in 1984 and ’85.

And I’ve even heard his name mentioned in the same breath as names like Deion Sanders and Charles Woodson.

But as the old adage goes: Don’t believe the hype.

Through Ohio State’s first five games this season, the Buckeyes’ “two-way star” has yet to catch a pass or come up with an interception, and he has averaged just 5.4 yards on his 17 punt returns.

While he hasn’t been 100 percent healthy all year, that can’t be used as an excuse for dropping balls that hit him right on the hands — which is something he has done on a number of occasions this season.

Clarett and Gamble just represent two individual examples on a collectively overrated team, though.

While they are undefeated and ranked as the No. 3 team in the country, the Buckeyes have yet to play a game on the road this season, and their lone Big Ten matchup was against conference bottom-dweller Northwestern.

It should also be noted that their five victories have not come easily, as OSU needed three overtime periods to put away ACC “powerhouse” N.C. State and just squeaked by San Diego State by a field goal.

This team is very beatable, and it will undoubtedly have its winning streak snapped before the season is over.

Their luck, good fortune or however you want to put it will soon come to an end.

With the Badgers seemingly back on track after their meltdown against UNLV, it could very well happen this Saturday night.

In closing, I hate that Wisconsin lost to Ohio State last year, I hate how overhyped OSU’s players are, and I hate how overrated their team is.

And, oh yeah, I hate Coach Tressel’s stupid sweater vest, too.