Spicy Pan-Fried Sweet Potatoes with Tzatziki Sauce

I have a confession to make.

I am addicted to sweet potatoes. Sweet potato fries. Mashed sweet potatoes. Roasted sweet potatoes. And now, pan-fried sweet potatoes with tzatziki sauce. The smoky heat and fiery spice of the sweet potatoes is nicely complemented by the cool cucumber-based tzatziki sauce, and both are relatively simple to make. The tzatziki sauce is extremely versatile; it’s excellent drizzled over salads or as a dipping sauce for blackened chicken.

SweetPotato.jpg

Spicy Pan-Fried Sweet Potatoes:

Heat three to five tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil on medium-low heat in deep skillet. Rinse and clean one sweet potato and cut it into 1/4-inch thick slices. Lay the slices on the skillet in one layer. Let them sizzle for 10-15 minutes and then flip the slices. At this point, season the sweet potatoes with with sea salt, cracked pepper, about 1/4 teaspoon chili powder and about 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Let the sweet potatoes cook for 10-15 minutes more more minutes, seasoning at intervals until you’re satisfied with the flavor.

Serve these with a generous helping of tzatziki sauce (recipe below).

Tzatziki Sauce:

Mix together 8 oz. plain nonfat yogurt (Fage nonfat Gk. yogurt is delicious), the juice of 1/4 fresh lemon, 1/2 teaspoon dill, a tiny bit of chopped roasted garlic, sea salt, cracked pepper and 1/2 c. diced or shredded cucumber. The cucumber is the essential ingredient in this sauce; it provides the cool, fresh taste and adds a bit of texture as well.

Enjoy!