Want a little spring? Try out these songs

A few columns back, I dedicated a playlist to the comforts of indoor winter living. As of last week, Madison forecasts started to hint at spring aesthetics. Needless to say, I was about ready to ditch the cold list for something warm and breezy, but alas — I jumped the gun, forgetting what a tease Mother Nature can be here in Wisconsin. I’ve also learned never to trust a groundhog. Still, once those first days of hopeful weather appear, it’s hard to look back.

On the bright side of reality, midterms week is here. I never thought I’d be saying that, but maybe a drab library is better than the return to permafrost. If you’ve been stuck at Helen C. White since last Thursday, this playlist will keep those warm thoughts lingering like a Midwest winter.

The songs are bright — and not the artificial fluorescent kind of bright. This is a soundtrack to the Ides of March and the beginning of spring. So what if it’s a little early? A little midterm distraction never hurts. Maybe, just maybe, by the end of this week the sky will brighten up and bring back some 30-plus temperatures. Until then, this playlist should suffice.

“The Celibate Life” – The Shins

When alarm clocks are unnecessary and the sun is the only thing to bring you out of reverie, life flows to the easy sound of “The Celibate Life.” If the only light you see this week is fluorescent, James Mercer and crew make up for what you aren’t missing outside.

With guitar chords brighter than a cloudless noon, this track might call for some squinting. Might as well close those strained eyes and let a mid-study daydream take you back to a green Bascom Hill. This song is pure fantasy, and by the looks of it, so is an early spring.

“Dry the Rain” – The Beta Band

If not for a slick scene in “High Fidelity” featuring this song, countless listeners would never have known The Beta Band. “I will now sell five copies of The Three EP’s by The Beta Band,” John Cusack’s character says as he slyly pops the disc into his record shop’s stereo. Well, his product placement worked as well in the real world as it did in the movie. Counting myself, the sales tally is at least six.

The only downside to that scene is its indoor setting. It works, but outside of that scene, the song begs for fresh air. By the time the triumphant horns kick in over the already simply cool rhythm section, there is nothing but sunshine and a smooth stride on my mind. The horns produce the same lifting effect here as they do in “The Celibate Life,” with an added air of Beck.

You know that relief you feel at the top of the hill after a Bascom exam? If so, then you already know this song’s emotion.

“From Africa to M?laga” – jj

What exactly is M?laga, you ask? Lying on the Spanish coast of the Mediterranean, this city is home to the warmest winters on its continent. By now, my desire to say the same about Wisconsin should be pretty obvious. But enough about geography and climate, let’s talk travel. By that, I mean affordable, imaginary travel. Lowercase jj bring the exotic sounds to you as souvenirs, “From Africa to M?laga,” with a layover in their native Sweden.

In the crawling approach of M?lagan winter conditions, jj can make the wait more bearable. Their mix of exotic instruments sounds roughly new age, but carries no pretentious baggage. A blend of roots percussion and Swede-pop synth lines conveys a tone of casual experimentation, rather than contrived grandiosity. Truly an original act, jj’s vocal harmonies and eclectic arrangements will take your mind on a vacation from midterms, far away from Wisconsin.

“Mer Du Japon” – Air

Since I’m on the topic of travelling abroad, why not make a stop by the Sea of Japan, courtesy of a couple French guides? Foreign origins are not the only thing Air shares with jj. They both employ heavy electronic influences throughout their catalogues, which should be obvious for Air, if subtle for jj. Actually, clean piano melodies lend a near natural sound to these studio sleuths, but not as natural as their samples.

In case you’ve forgotten what waves sound like, “Mer Du Japon” features a tidal interlude as a reminder. Like the Statue of Liberty on Mendota, you are probably up to your neck in a sea of homework. Just take a deep breath of Air and forget about the stress. No break time? No problem. Any Air can double as excellent study music, but I would recommend Premiers Symptomes or The Virgin Suicides.

“In the Kitchen” – Umphrey’s McGee

After a pair of semi-synthetic tracks, it’s about time to segue into a raw genre that bleeds outdoor liberation and thrives off open-air audiences. Let this song serve as another spring teaser, as well as a preview of upcoming Madison appearances by jam band Umphrey’s McGee. You’ve probably seen the flyers for the March 11 Orpheum gig, but their return in July to a grassier venue on Willow Island is sure to embody the spirit of this list.

As for the song at hand, the lyrics suggest a transition into winter, which partially clashes with the song’s general sound. It speaks with familiarity to a carefree walk around the city, destination unknown. The Italians have a word for that type of aimless stroll. They call it a “giro.” Come to think of it, the Greeks have a dish associated with food stands you might see on that very walk. I’m sure you’ve had a gyro before. So, once the streets are dry, grab your gyro, go for a giro and see where Umphrey’s McGee takes you. Guaranteed, this song won’t leave you “In the Kitchen.”

Joe Nistler ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in Italian and journalism.