Calm before storm of classwork offers time to lounge with music

I don’t know about you, but a new year, a new semester and fresh responsibilities have been somewhat of a reality check. Menial tasks demanded of school and work feel like running a marathon when you’ve spent the past month in a state of gluttony. But just think?– a month from now the routine will feel natural again. By that time, even your 2010 resolutions will be a faint memory at best.

In the meantime, there is work to be done. And let’s be honest, it isn’t that overwhelming yet. When left with downtime at the end of a productive day, it feels great to bask in satisfaction and simply relax. The songs in this playlist are meant to amplify that midrange of relaxation described as “lounging.” I use “lounge” because that feeling is best interpreted through musical elements of jazz and lounge. The songs won’t put you to sleep, and they aren’t exactly workout jams. They are unlikely chill packages, compiled for your lounging.

“Loungin'” – Guru

You know that feeling you get when you know you are done with everything but still feel like there is something more to do? That’s not uncommon. In such a case, take a deep breath along with this tip from Guru: “mellow out and just lounge.” The refrain is simple and frank, and judging by his tone, Guru can take his own advice.

Aside from a conversational vocal delivery and comfortable flow, “Loungin'” features low key jazz elements reminiscent of A Tribe Called Quest. While Tribe has denounced the “jazz rap” label, Guru embraces its classic feel and honesty. Through songs such as “Loungin’,” his Jazzmatazz series exhausts a no-nonsense call to a ’30s era lounge. There, atmosphere is dark and the mood is pleasant.

“Guns and Cigarettes” – Atmosphere

Speaking of Atmosphere, this next track comes straight from the Minneapolis hip-hop duo of that very name. Typically known for verses about personal shortcomings, “Guns and Cigarettes” shows rapper Slug’s arrogant side. He casually rhymes ego-inflating anecdotes with predictions for world fame, but he does it without pretense and all in fun.

From the sound of it, they have every right to feel self-satisfied.

Natural performers, Atmosphere thrives off crowd support. The subtle crowd chatter in the background lends an authentic live feel to their already strong charisma. It sounds like a verbal victory lap recorded after a live performance. When you have momentum and creative steam built, you might as well let it pour out.

“Missing My Baby” – G. Love and Special Sauce

Despite good intentions, sometimes rappers can sound a little too serious for steady relaxation. If Guru comes off sounding pushy, or if Atmosphere is too cocky for your liking, then this blue skies song from the City of Brotherly Love should bring you back to lounge central.

Even with a sob story title, this song shares little with the clich? “I miss you.” The mood is better described as anxious excitement rather than depressed longing. It is a melodical reminder to enjoy your present situation. It will make the return to normal that much better. So don’t despair at early course assignments. Once you get through them, this playlist will sound much sweeter.

“La La La Zoom Zoom Zoom” – Incubus

To prove name recognition is not enough to describe a band, I give you Incubus. For a name that carries relatively heavy baggage, you would never guess they have a bossa nova lounge side to them. Then again, as capable musicians, it’s hard to put it past them.

In any case, “La La La Zoom Zoom Zoom” can be fun to say and better to hear. The laid back song epitomizes the sounds of a swanky South American hotel lobby. All that is missing is the Carmen Miranda fruit hat. In addition, this song makes an excellent segue from the structure-heavy beginning of the playlist to a more abstract finish. If you aren’t lounging by now, I suggest you try a little less and enjoy the music.

“Poor Boy” – Nick Drake

For an artist with little popular appeal in his time, Nick Drake’s impact on generally depressing music is undeniable. His influence has reached such melancholy music men as Elliott Smith, Robert Smith and probably The Smiths, to follow pattern. But for now, the aim is not to lament. Fittingly, this track comes from an album soaking up upbeat melodies atypical of Drake.

Though the lyrics are self-deprecating, the melody is anything but. Even the chorus girls singing “Poor, poor boy/ So sorry for himself” do so with uplifting vitality. For non-English speakers, this song is a great relaxation tool in every respect. For anyone who can read this, the melody itself will have to suffice. “Poor Boy” creates a warm environment with its own light, allowing you to dim the overheads.

“The Sea” – Morcheeba

Along with the previous two songs, this is as close to a true musical definition of “lounge” as it gets. With thick layers of frequencies, “The Sea” is the soundtrack to an oddly beautiful overcast day at the beach. It is a grand finale to the list, the sunset of a hard day’s work.

I find the title and seafaring lyrics to be strikingly consistent with the imagery produced by the sound. Synth strings establish a sort of warm breeze while the guitar and bass effects seem to drip salt water. Acoustic strumming and hand drums add a touch of humanity to an otherwise organic masterpiece. There are few things more rewarding than lying in the sand and looking at the waves. For now, a couch and Morcheeba’s sound waves do the job.

Joe Nistler ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in Italian and journalism.