Regardless of the nominee, Democrats need to come together in November

Both candidates have fantastic resumes, contrary to GOP

Regardless of the nominee, Democrats need to come together in November.

It doesn’t matter whether you prefer U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders, D-Vermont, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton or even if you are just completely uninterested in either candidate. If you believe in equality, common sense and fairness, you should probably understand that voting for either candidate will likely result in some progress in those categories.

Personally, I am still undecided on who I want to be the Democratic candidate. Even on voting day for the Wisconsin primary, I chose in the spur of the moment, and I have occasionally come to regret my decision.

Frankly — if it were up to me — President Barack Obama should keep the job for a few more terms. I just haven’t seen very much from any candidate that indicates they are ready to become president. Then again, we elected President George W. Bush for two terms in a row and I don’t know that I’ve seen many politicians seem less prepared than he was.

The point, however, is that Democrats are in the midst of heading down the path of Republicans and it’s not just dangerous for the party — it’s completely ridiculous.

When the early Democratic Party debates aired, there seemed to be an understanding between Clinton and Sanders, that they should respect boundaries and let the American people decide what direction they wanted to go.

After watching the last debate, that strategy certainly went out the window.

Both campaigns have taken numerous weird and childish cheap shots at each other, leaving many undecided Democrats like myself annoyed and frankly unimpressed with either candidate.

Among those cheap shots have been accusations from both campaigns that the opposing candidate is not qualified to become president.

Let’s end that discussion right here.

Clinton is a former First Lady, U.S. Senator and Secretary of State. She has been a major player in Democratic politics in this country for decades and continues to be one of the sharpest and most politically savvy politicians on the planet.

Sanders has devoted his entire career to doing things he believed to be right, serving as a mayor, U.S. Congressman and U.S. Senator while not declaring as a member of either party. He has spent decades fighting for a progressive agenda in this country and is without a doubt one of the smartest and most passionate politicians there is.

Compare this to the likely Republican nominees in U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and Donald Trump, who both lack any sort of positive political record or really any sort of real qualification to lead anything more than a parade.

Both Democratic candidates are remarkably qualified to become the next president of the United States. Any suggestion otherwise by either the Sanders or Clinton campaign is just foolish.

Thus, it irks me that some Sanders supporters have continued to suggest they would not vote for Clinton were she to be the Democratic nominee and vice versa for Clinton supporters.

I understand that Sanders represents a change in American politics, but he could possibly be a major positive change for the United States as he represents the frustration that many of us feel with the American political system.

But at the end of the day, Clinton represents more moderate versions of most of Sanders’ ideology that are honestly more likely to make it through Congress.

If the majority of Democrats in this country decide on the more moderate Clinton and Sanders supporters refuse to vote for Clinton — or vice versa — they would be actively allowing the ridiculousness of Cruz or Trump to waltz into the White House.

I am not arguing against the agenda of either candidate. In fact, I am arguing FOR the agenda of both candidates.

So, come November, I suggest you remember who the qualified candidates with the positive agendas are, whether the nominee be Clinton or Sanders.

Vote for Clinton or Sanders come November. Just make sure you don’t refuse to vote for one or the other. They, unlike Cruz or Trump, represent a positive American future where we can focus on continuing to implement equality and common sense politics.

Connor Touhey ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in journalism, political science and history.