Concealed carry in UW buildings good idea, but not in current environment

More oversight, restrictions needed on licenses
Hayley Sperling

Two Republican legislators in Wisconsin proposed a bill that would allow concealed carry in all areas of public campuses, specifically within campus-owned buildings in the University of Wisconsin System.

Both sides of the political spectrum are entrenched in their opinions and it seems as though there is no middle ground. But when it comes to gun control, such as concealed carry, the issue is far more complicated. 

First of all, I would like to make it clear that under current concealed carry requirements, I believe the idea of allowing students and staff to carry a weapon in a classroom is ridiculous. Primarily, I believe the process of attaining the privilege to carry a weapon in public is not equal to the responsibility of actually carrying a weapon.

Lawmakers release bill to allow concealed weapons on UW campuses

For instance, Wisconsin’s current concealed carry license application consists of three requirements. First, you must fill out a two to four page application for the license itself. Then, you must pay a total of $40 to the Wisconsin Department of Justice. Lastly, you must show proof of completion of either Wisconsin’s Hunter Safety Program, U.S. Armed Forces small arms training, police training, private training or a nationally recognized firearms training course.

After completing this, an applicant must go through minimal background checks to ensure they meet all the legal requirements to be eligible for the license (felonies, violent crimes, etc.). After this, an individual would be enrolled in a course that currently takes about four hours to complete. The training also only spends two-and-a-half pages talking about how or when to use a concealed weapon for defense.

And if that process wasn’t simple enough, Gov. Scott Walker repealed the 48-hour wait period for buying a firearm. So after you become approved for a concealed carry license, it would take almost no time at all to be equipped with a deadly weapon in public places like a UW classroom.

I think we can all agree weapons on campus under these requirements probably isn’t the safest idea. Especially considering UW is renowned for its drinking culture. Gun-lovers and gun-haters can both agree that alcohol and firearms do not mix.

I would be the first to say I fully support our constitutional rights when it comes to bearing arms. One of the reasons America is the best country in the world is the fact we are allowed to own weapons. But this does not mean anybody should be able to conceal one in a public place.

We need to start looking at concealed carry as a special privilege given to those who have proved themselves capable enough to handle such a great responsibility, and not as an inalienable right of every citizen. In this light, I would like to propose some changes to the current legislation regarding concealed carry I believe would make it a viable option for use everywhere on the UW campus.

First, the waiting period for purchase of a firearm needs to not only be reinstated, but extended to a full week. Buying a gun should not be a spur-of-the-moment decision. It should be a process that requires planning and careful consideration by the buyer. Would this potentially inconvenience those who need a weapon quickly for activities like hunting or trap shooting? Yes, but I think the inconvenience to those people would be worth the lives saved by the waiting period.

I also believe there should be stricter background and mental health screenings for the purchase of firearms, as well as the eligibility for concealed carry. In terms of concealed carry, the screenings should be done yearly confirming nothing has happened in a person’s life that would put others at risk by his or her ability to carry a weapon in public.

Lastly, I believe the course requirements should be extended. Applicants should have to complete the four-hour course online, as well as a training course similar to the length of Wisconsin’s Hunter Safety Program.

A course such as this would give applicants training on how to legally transport or carry a weapon, as well as what to do in a crisis situation, such as a mass shooting. This training would be paired with firearm proficiency training and a test to ensure those carrying a weapon could use it efficiently and effectively.

I also believe a concealed carry license should have to be renewed biannually by passing a firearm proficiency test, because what is the point of having a weapon in public if you physically or mentally aren’t capable of using it to defend yourself or others?

Under these circumstances I would be the first to endorse concealed carry on campus. This isn’t a political issue. This is a common sense issue. Carrying a weapon in public is a great privilege and responsibility to yourself and your fellow citizens. With the correct amount of regulation and specialized training, a responsible and armed citizen could make UW a safer place to live.

Sam Vander Plas ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in communications.