Students benefit from winter terms

I would like to start off this column by congratulating you, as you read this mailhome edition of The Badger Herald, on your acceptance to the University of Wisconsin. I wish you all the best in your next four, five, six, etc. years here in the great city of Madison.

With 157 undergraduate majors, 42,595 intelligent and diverse students and a myriad of student organizations, all located within the capital city of Wisconsin, UW is an endless sea of opportunity. However, while this university is able to provide an array of enlightening experiences for each of its students, there is one thing that it does not offer – a winter term.

In the past year, UW has sought to implement a winter term; however, concrete commitment has been noticeably lacking. The possible winter term would be three weeks long, take place in the month of January and offer unique and intensive three-credit courses.

UW is the only four-year university within the UW System that does not offer a winter term. UW-Green Bay’s 2014 January term will take place from January 2 to January 23. UW-Plattevillle’s Winterim 2014 is scheduled between January 6 to January 17. UW-Parkside’s 2014 Winterim Session will last from January 6 until January 31. While these winter terms may go by different names, they all allow students to take courses they need to graduate.

The creation of a winter term in Madison would relieve some of the pressure students feel as they attempt to graduate in four years. The average student changes majors three times during college. Although one can change majors at any time with no academic consequences, the more times one changes majors, the less likely graduating in four years becomes.

Even if students come to UW knowing what they want to study, it can be difficult for them to graduate in four years since classes fill up quickly. Starting from scratch leaves you with the last pick for courses.

Next thing you know, you are a political science major trying to kill two birds with one stone by taking a course studying “the Social Contract,” which would count for your political science major and that all important humanities requirement but it fills up before you can register. Now, it’s September and you’re in a world dance cultures course that will only count for humanities–not that you mind learning to mambo. It’s just that the thoughts of John Locke might have been a bit more practical.

Beyond relieving the pressure of time constraints, a winter term would also save students money. Every year the cost of going to college rises. While UW is an exception to this rule for the next two years because of the tuition freeze, tuition will not likely remain at the same price after that.

The biggest problem UW faces by creating a winter term is the question of what types of classes it could offer. Most likely, these courses would only be worth three credits and would need to be able to be condensed into three weeks. UW also faces the question of which faculty members would be around to administer the courses. However, at a university with 2,027 faculty members, I am sure some of them would be available. Actually, many professors might enjoy having the opportunity to teach a smaller group of students on a specific topic that they personally love and may not be able to teach during the regular 16-week semesters.

The addition of a winter term would be advantageous to UW students by helping them fulfill degree requirements and graduate on time. In April 2012, UW conducted a survey to determine the interest in creating a winter term and they discovered many students take courses at local institutions near their home during the winter break. Many students, myself included, will be living in the Madison area during the next winter break. So please, create a winter term. I want to learn.

Jared Mehre ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in political science, sociology and legal studies.