Fiammetta: Badgers’ weaknesses persist

The sense of relief at Camp Randall Stadium Saturday afternoon was so blatantly obvious that it left many Wisconsin fans wondering, “Why can’t we play teams like Purdue on the road”?

Scheduling gripes aside, the Badgers got back on track this weekend, cruising to a 62-17 win over the Purdue Boilermakers. Finally, all was good as the Badgers finally returned to Camp Randall after the massive heartbreak of the past two weeks. Wisconsin might not be able to push the losses at Ohio State and at Michigan State out of their heads forever, but they can at least bump them to the backs of their minds now.

Control of their own destiny – if there is such a meaningful thing halfway through the season – is beyond the Badgers’ reach, but with some very feasible help from the rest of the Big Ten and/or the BCS computers, a BCS bowl berth is still attainable.

But as much as Wisconsin is hoping for losses from Ohio State and Penn State, the Badgers will reap their own benefits from improving on some weakness that were highlighted throughout that brutal road stretch and apparent even Saturday against Purdue.

Settle the special teams

The Badgers now rank second-to-last in the Big Ten in kickoff coverage, a testament to how dire the special teams situation has become in Madison.

“Dire” might seem a bit exaggerated following a 62-17 blowout, but the nightmares in Columbus and East Lansing proved just how critical special teams miscues can be. Granted, the Badgers finally prevented a kick or punt from being blocked and Phillip Welch’s 52-yard field goal at the end of the first half was a tremendous confidence booster for the senior kicker.

However, that also strengthened the spotlight on Wisconsin’s coverage issues. The Badgers are No. 115 in the country with 139.9 yards allowed on kickoffs per game and No. 74 with 22.09 yards allowed per kickoff, two staggeringly alarming rankings for a team that otherwise plays generally clean football.

After the game Saturday saw Purdue’s freshman returner Raheem Mostert average 41.2 yards on five kickoffs with a 49-yarder on his first and a 74-yarder on his second, Wisconsin head coach Bret Bielema pointed out a need to evaluate the personnel and assignments the Badgers send out on kickoffs.

But how many changes can they really make? Wisconsin also naturally struggles covering punts, ranking No. 76 in yards allowed per punt return (809). Wisconsin’s remaining opponents, Minnesota, Illinois and Penn State, rank seventh, 12th and fourth, respectively, in kickoff returns and fourth, 12th and 10th in punt returns, respectively. But with only three regular season games left, can the Badgers really afford much tinkering when they essentially must win every game?

Ignite James White

The sophomore running back was one of Wisconsin’s most electric players in 2010, averaging 6.7 yards per carry en route to a 1,052-yard, 14-touchdown season. This season, White is down to 5.1 yards per carry and he’s been trending downward since rushing for 87 yards on 13 carries (6.7 yards per) against Indiana. Against Michigan State, Ohio State and Purdue in the subsequent weeks, White’s averages have dipped to 3.8, 3.2 and 2.9, respectively.

Sudden spells of an inability to move the football have been the Badgers’ kryptonite this season – most notably in their two losses – and White has barely provided a spark since his season-high 95 yards and one touchdown against South Dakota Sept. 24. At Michigan State, White rushed 11 times for 42 yards and caught one pass for 12 yards. One week later at Ohio State, he contributed only five rushes for 16 yards and one catch for six yards.

Explanations for White’s stunning ineffectiveness have ranged from a perceived lack of explosiveness to the fact there’s no longer last year’s element of surprise with him in the game. White has also taken a more secondary role behind Ball this year, whereas last season saw him contribute as a centerpiece of Wisconsin’s Three-Headed Monster with John Clay, Ball and himself.

Regardless, White’s contributions have diminished this season, and at times, they’ve been lethal to Wisconsin’s offense. The Badgers remain as dynamic a unit as there is in the nation, but those offensive droughts that have developed in the middle of games – on the road, no less – can halt any momentum Wisconsin will gain with victories in its final three games.

Discover a concrete No. 3 wide receiver

This issue has permeated throughout the season, beginning during the Badgers’ stellar performance in non-conference games and rising steadily in prominence with each of the challenges presented since. With opponents well aware of Nick Toon’s skill and Jared Abbrederis’ emergence as a legitimate No. 1 receiver, Wisconsin seemed to be in need of one more firm receiving option.

Tight end Jacob Pedersen has developed into UW’s latest promising tight end, catching 24 passes for 310 yards and seven touchdowns this season. The redshirt sophomore has proven to be good for about three catches a game in Big Ten play and a reliable security blanket for Wilson, but in the search for weapons that will further open up defenses and create options for his quarterback, Pedersen generally lacks big-play ability.

Augmenting the issue is Toon’s sudden disappearing act; the redshirt senior has not caught more than three passes since Oct. 1 against Nebraska and hasn’t scored since then either. Sure, as the team’s No. 1 wideout, Toon draws the majority of the opposing defenses’ attention. But also, as the No. 1 wideout, isn’t he supposed to beat it consistently?

So behind Toon and Abbrederis, the Badgers have yet to see a true answer emerge at the No. 3 receiver spot. Jeff Duckworth has taken the snaps at that role this season, though he’s caught more than two passes in a game once which was against Indiana Oct. 15. Against Purdue Saturday, he saw arguably his most snaps in a game and caught two passes for 78 yards, 66 of which came on one pass in the first quarter.

Sophomore Manasseh Garner is next in line and was widely expected to emerge this season, though surgery to repair a hernia cost him the first three games of the season. Since then, he has only suited up for the Sept. 24 South Dakota game and Saturday. In those games, Garner’s caught two passes for 45 yards.

Mike is a senior majoring in journalism. What’s the biggest issue for this Badgers team? Let him know on Twitter @mikefiammetta and be sure to follow @BHeraldSports for all the latest Badgers news.