From the desk of the future editor

While today kicks off the last week of production at The Badger Herald for the spring semester, I would like to take a moment to look forward to the fall.

My name is Signe Brewster, and I am the incoming editor-in-chief at the Herald. I am a Minnesota native, life sciences communication major and general wonk when it comes to journalism. I have spent the last three years learning nearly everything there is to know about this paper, and I look forward to putting that knowledge to use in the coming year.

But enough about me; here are a few things you should know as a reader of the Herald.

Join our staff

I remember the first time I walked into the Herald’s office. It was the new writers’ meeting early in the fall of 2008, and the editorial room was filled wall-to-wall with interested students.

I found myself wondering how I would compete with so many creative people to make a name for myself. In the years since, I learned what a silly thought that was. With so many ways to put individual skills to work, there is a niche for just about anyone at the Herald – it’s just up to you to find it.

I urge you to take a hard look at your relationship with this paper. It does not matter if you are not a journalism student; if you like to write, design, opine, make videos, conduct polls, etc., chances are we have a role for you. In the process, you will become a part of one of the most vibrant groups of people to be found on this campus we call home.

So head over to badgerherald.com/jobs to check out current opportunities to join our staff. I promise it’s one of the best choices you can make to deepen your roots in Madison.

Transitioning

The last week of production at the Herald is always bittersweet with the impending loss of our senior staff members.

There are too many people here to thank for the usually thankless work they put in, but I would like to single out Kevin Bargnes, the editor-in-chief, and Adam Holt, the managing editor, for the hundreds of hours they put in to ensure the paper ran smoothly. Their leadership and dedication, along with their patent brands of humor, will be sorely missed.

Luckily, the Herald has a strong team lined up for the fall. News Editor Carolyn Briggs will take over as managing editor, and I will be handing the editor-at-large title off to former Opinion Editor Jake Begun. I have an enormous amount of faith in them, but I also know the three of us will owe any successes to the rest of the staff. The full list is below:

NEWS 

News Editor: Addie Blanchard

News Content Editor: Pam Selman 

Deputy News Editor: Katherine Krueger 

Campus Editor: Selby Rodriguez 

City Editor: Sasha Hayman 

State Editor: George LeVines 

College Editor: Matt Huppert

SPORTS 

Sports Editor: Mike Fiammetta 

Sports Content Editor: Elliot Hughes 

Associate Sports Editor: Kelly Erickson 

Associate Sports Editor: Ian McCue 

Stats Editor: Brett Sommers

ARTS 

Arts Editor: Sarah Witman 

Arts Content Editor: Lin Weeks

OPINION 

Co-Opinion Editors: Allegra Dimperio and Sam Stevenson

MULTIMEDIA 

Multimedia Editor: Ryan Rainey 

Associate Multimedia Editor: Emily Campbell

DESIGN 

Co-Design Directors: Eric Wiegmann and Alex Laedtke

WEB 

Web Director: Adam Parkzer 

Associate Web Director: Jake Stoeffler

COPY 

Copy Chief: Zach Butzler

EDITORIAL BOARD

Chair: Alex Brousseau

Signe Brewster

Carolyn Briggs

Jake Begun

Allegra Dimperio

Sam Stevenson

Ryan Rainey

Weekly guest member

The multimedia experiment

The Herald is called a lot of names. Some are good, some are ugly.

Like many Herald leaders before me, I like to call the Herald an experiment. The 2011-12 year will be one of constant innovation for this paper, and just from watching incoming editors begin to lay the groundwork for the fall semester, I know it will be one of the strongest in our history.

You will continue to find high-quality writing on our pages, both print and digital, but you will also notice a jump in the amount and variety of online content. This means more videos and photos, but also a new community of bloggers, renewed commitment to social media and a hard look at the purpose of The Badger Herald Wiki.

An improved multimedia presence is only the beginning of the changes that are in store. But the Herald needs your help to ensure we are working toward producing the highest quality student newspaper in the nation. I encourage you to send any constructive suggestions, thoughts and criticism you have to [email protected]. We have a fresh start coming our way, and I plan to use the next three months to ensure we make the most of that.

Signe Brewster

Incoming Editor-in-Chief