Garnett means more to Celtics than just offense

It didn’t take long for the Celtics to show just how much Kevin Garnett means to the defending NBA champions.

How so? Well, it only took one game in 2009 for the Celtics to lose a home playoff game. Last year, the Celtics lost only one game at home during the entire playoffs, and that was in the Eastern Conference Finals against Detroit.

Oh, and did I mention they were playing the Bulls?

Now I’m not one to bash Chicago sports (unless of course the Dodgers are beating up the Cubs), but the No. 7 seed Bulls aren’t really what I would call a spectacular team. Yeah, they have Derrick Rose, but Chicago doesn’t really have much firepower aside from the rookie out of Memphis.

With that description, you would expect Chicago to be home early from the postseason. I mean, in the western conference, the Bulls wouldn’t even be in the playoffs to begin with.

The Celtics on the other hand, have been among the NBA’s elite teams all season long. Rajon Rondo has developed into an outstanding point guard (even though his jump shot could use a bit of work) and Glen “Big Baby” Davis has been more than serviceable down low.

But let’s face it; the “Boston Three Party” doesn’t include either Rondo or Davis. Of course Paul Pierce and Ray Allen are superstars, but without Garnett, they lack the superstar talent to put them over the top of the Cleveland Cavaliers.

At this rate though, the Celtics won’t even be making the conference finals, and even though they’ve only played one game, it should be a bit concerning. Not just because Boston lost to a team that clearly isn’t as good as it is, but because down the stretch, the Bulls were able to score at will.

Tyrus Thomas nailed jumper after jumper and Rose seemingly toyed with Rondo and drove to the lane without anyone being able to stop him — that’s where the biggest difference lies.

Without Garnett, the Lakers beat the Celtics in the 2008 NBA Finals. Pau Gasol doesn’t get scared by Kendrick Perkins, and Boston is then relying on Rondo’s 11.9 points per game to make up for KG’s absence.

But against every great team, the Celtics will need to stop a slasher like Rose. The Cavaliers (LeBron) and the Lakers (Kobe) — the Celtics’ two biggest opponents — will tear Boston apart if Garnett can’t return (it doesn’t look like he’s going to).

Aside from the physical attributes Garnett brings, which are obviously among the best in the NBA, his demeanor on and off the court is something the Celtics can’t play without. I’m not necessarily talking about his point and rebound totals, but rather the way he affects the players around him.

For example, take a look at Davis. Earlier this season, Garnett made “Big Baby’s” name a reality, making the 6-foot-9 forward cry on the bench after playing poorly filling in for the Celtics starters. With a 6-foot-11 future hall of famer telling you that you suck, it might prove to be motivational in the future. And what did Davis do for the rest of the season? He worked on his mid-range jump shot and learned how to box out NBA players, earning seven points and four rebounds per game, a very respectable mark for a second-year player off the bench.

Now I’m a pacifist, and I know I wouldn’t like someone yelling at me to do my job better, but in the Celtics’ case, that’s just what they need. As long as Pierce has been on the Celtics, he alone has never been able to lead Boston to an NBA title.

The first year Garnett came in, he did it. I’m not saying Pierce and Allen don’t want to win a championship, but without Garnett pushing the players to play to their maximum potential, it will be a stretch to see Boston carrying back-to-back titles.

However, this mysterious injury might not be all that bad. Who knows? Maybe Garnett will be back to help the Celtics beat the Lakers yet again. First though, they’ll need to get by the Chicago Bulls.

But hey, as KG put it last year, “Anything is possible!”

Jonah is a sophomore majoring in journalism and Hebrew and Semitic studies. Think Pierce and Allen can lead Boston to another NBA title? Is Garnett really that important to the Celtics? Send your thoughts to [email protected].