UW should strive for healthy relationship with Greek life

Despite flaws of fraternities, they are a valuable aspect of campus life
Langdon+Street
Joey Reuteman
Langdon Street

In the past year, fraternities have come under increased media scrutiny.

Cringe-worthy stories involving racist chants, sexual assaults and hazing have tainted the public’s perception of Greek life. The waning reputation of fraternities at the University of Wisconsin puts them on thin ice, threatening their relevance and existence.

These events disgust me and the harsh crackdown on fraternities here at UW is unsurprising. Despite the flaws of fraternities, I believe they are a valuable aspect of campus life. Cultivating a hostile relationship between UW administrators and fraternities would deprive the university of the neglected benefits they can provide.

Panel tackles how to put a stop to sexual assault at UW

Fraternities offer philanthropy, career guidance, alumni networks and friendships. Without a relevant Greek community, individuals and the community would lose the value these things offer.

The conventional defense of fraternities fails to improve the public’s perception of them. But I believe the opportunity they provide the university to regulate the party scene on campus is a valuable quality worthy of consideration when assessing fraternities.

‘Finally taking action’: Greek community to implement first major plan to address sexual assault

A large segment of UW students will inevitably drink and party. Students who are in a fraternity and those who are not both participate in weekend activities that university administrators would probably not condone.

The risks associated with partying like detox, sexual assault and criminal activity are plentiful. Aside from the UW Police Department, the university has no mechanism to regulate this party atmosphere. I would assume that the university would like to be able to manage these risks and exercise some control over the party environment on campus.

Fraternities and Greek life as a whole, provide UW with this sort of mechanism. The Interfraternal Council and Panhellenic Association serve as extensions that regulate the social aspects of fraternities. They acknowledge that partying is inevitable, so instead of trying to prevent it they make sure that it is safe.

Fraternities are institutions through which UW’s administration can ensure that partying is safe. The IFC establishes rules, such as sober monitors, the prohibition of hard liquor and a list of all guests. 

Recent events indicate UW’s administration is distancing itself from fraternities. They are taking a hardline stance on their misconduct with an increasing amount of harsh punishments. The result of this stance is a weakened, hostile relationship between the two. If the current trend continues, then UW will lose one of their only mechanisms for regulating the party scene.

Rather than corrode its relationship with fraternities, UW’s administration should strive for a harmonious, amicable relationship. Doing so is in their best interest. It would preserve both their ability to regulate a portion of the party scene and the conventional benefits fraternities provide.

I am not trying to defend the immoral actions of some fraternities, but instead urging both the public and university administration to acknowledge this rarely considered additional benefit.

I hope that in the future, the public and administration will recognize that despite fraternities’ flaws, developing a healthy relationship with them through cooperation and tolerance will remedy their shortcomings, while preserving their value.

William Malina ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in philosophy.