Seasoned vet gives freshmen a few pointers

With the last choking embrace from your nervous mother, you've entered the almighty dream: college. Your furniture spread, fresh from Target, adorns your new dorm room as you begin to wonder exactly when the potent odor coming from your roommate's corner will begin to seep into your freshly-washed bed sheets.

But before you start thinking about all the things that could lead to sleepless nights this semester, this writer and weathered collegian would like to offer some wisdom as you begin your tenure at the University of Wisconsin.

I could be overwhelmingly cliché and offer something like a "Top 50 List of Things to do at UW," but that would not be everyone's particular brand of vodka. One of this university's great appeals is its colorfully diverse environment where students don many different faces. You have the quiet, clean-cut intellectual, the resistant hippie or the hard-partying socialites, all possessing their own priorities and generating their own to-do lists, undoubtedly differing from your own. This is the major perk of college: the independence and general anonymity allows you to be exactly who you want and pursue exactly what you want. You're rid of the claustrophobic conformity of your high schools — which, for many of you, were probably situated in fairly small, homogeneous communities where it was difficult to avoid the spotlight. Cut through the preferences and pressures of parents, teachers and mentors and allow your own passions to determine how you conduct the next four (or, if you really push the envelope, five) years of your life.

Regardless of your interests, tip No. 1 is simple: get involved. Meeting people is a huge plus, and you will be able to explore new experiences and hobbies while expanding your knowledge. Join a student group, participate in intramural or club sports; volunteer for a meaningful cause. These activities will provide a healthy refuge from the rigors of studying. UW provides endless opportunities to explore new endeavors–from speed dating to judo — and there seems to be a registered student organization for every imaginable interest out there. Maybe the Campus Vegetarian Society interests you, or perhaps the Dance Dance Revolution Club sounds alluring.

In addition, explore “academic” extracurriculars, which can supplement your curriculum and provide real-life experiences lacking in lecture halls. Approach a professor and inquire about for-credit or paid research opportunities. Look at honors programs to find available courses and seminars that are out of the mainstream. Find a job in a lab or an office that pertains to your field of study. Use your summers to continue your education, not just to take a break from it. Apply for competitive internships and training programs. Study abroad, travel and see different parts of the globe.

Benefit from UW's activist culture. For many, college exposes students to the issues that face their communities, their countries, and the world at large. If you are passionate about a cause, you need not reach far to find someone who shares your interest. Inform yourself and help inform others. The idealistic passion of university students is a unique and potent force.

Getting involved in all facets of college life is important, but doing so successfully requires a good balance. Too much of any component can be unhealthy; over-studying can be as disastrous as over-partying. Achieving balance is a result of trial and error and requires building a favorable environment around you. Remember to take classes, join organizations and get jobs that will improve your mind and soul, not just your résumé. Surround yourself with compatible individuals who will challenge you and help you pursue your ambitions. Do not adopt a friend just because he serves as a good wingman on Friday nights. Most importantly, spare yourself from hiding behind the "But I'm just a freshman" excuse and get started as soon as you can to get the most out of the experience.

In the end, formal instruction will only be a small source of learning during your college career. Most of my education came from outside the classroom. As you move through the ranks, never miss an opportunity to acquire wisdom.

What, did you expect to get it all from a newspaper column?

Adam Lichtenheld ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in political science and African studies.