A rough draft of the next four years

While President Barack Obama handily defeated former Gov. Mitt Romney last fall, election season gave Americans an opportunity to reflect on his first four years in office. 

The election raised questions as to whether or not Obama followed through on the campaign promises he ran on in 2008, and his performance in his first term was cast into scrutiny. The American people considered the president’s achievements and weighed his agenda for the future of the country against that of his opponent. On the whole, their response was positive. Obama proved he is still the right man for the job – at least for the majority of Americans. 

Today, in his State of the Union address, Obama is poised to unveil his agenda for his second term in office. The economy remains sluggish in the wake of the recession, and America’s involvement in Afghanistan and the Middle East continues to be a subject of national debate. Current events have put pressure on legislators in Washington to pass a bill on gun control and there has been talk of comprehensive immigration reform. Expect Obama to address all of these things in his address.

The State of the Union address will be broadcast on all major networks at 9 p.m. EST — which means 8 p.m. here in Madison. We asked columnists and political organizations on campus what they want to hear from the president this evening. Here’s what they had to say.