Record ASM election turnout expected

Students at the University of Wisconsin are expected to turn out in record high numbers for this spring’s Associated Students of Madison election, which is open through this afternoon.

The election determine representatives for the 2011-12 academic year, which is the council’s 18th session. Forty-eight students have filed to run with hopes of filling the 29 open Student Council positions available throughout the different colleges. As the largest college on campus, Letters and Science will have 12 seats up for election with 30 students seeking those seats.

There are also 10 students running for ASM’s Student Services Finance Committee–the board of students responsible for allocating student segregated fee funds. 

During last year’s spring elections, Student Elections Commission Chair Renata Danks said there was higher student turnout than ever before – a trend she said she believes will continue this year.

“I would say these elections are going to be very close, and in comparison with other years, I would predict a high turnout for this year’s elections because of the referendums up for vote and the political climate in Madison right now,” Danks said. “People are more aware and more interested.”

Students will also be asked to vote either for or against a referendum that would continue UW’s membership in the United Council of UW Students. She said she attributes last year’s high voter turnout to the controversial referendum on segregated fees students for the NatUp initiative.

Students can vote online through an automated survey center by providing their campus ID number.

“All students are eligible to vote, but students will see different ballots based on which school they belong to,” Danks said. “The survey center we run voting through makes it so we have no way of knowing who voted for who.”

Throughout the past several weeks, SEC promoted the general elections through publicity events with Bucky, posters and banners posted on Bascom Hill and advertising in student newspapers, Danks said. ASM candidates also participated in a question and answer forum early last week to allow students the opportunity to hear the candidates’ platforms.