New UW-Platteville chancellor recommended

A college administrator from New York will most likely be the next chancellor of the University of Wisconsin-Platteville after a committee recommended them to the Board of Regents Wednesday.

The Board of Regents could officially appoint Dennis Shields, who currently serves as the Vice President for Student Affairs at the City College of New York, as the university’s 14th chancellor during their April meeting.

Shields was one of four final candidates in a national search that started earlier this year.

He, along with the other finalists, visited UW-Platteville during February and March to meet with students and answer questions.

“When it came down to my feelings, I felt like he would be a good fit in Platteville. His visit to the campus went well, and [he was] received well on campus,” UW-Platteville student and Regent Kevin Opgenorth said.

UW System spokesperson David Giroux said as an Iowa native, Shields will have a good grasp of the culture and climate at UW-Platteville.

“By all accounts he has a very impressive record,” Giroux said.

Giroux said the campus is excited about Shield’s recommendation and is eager for Shields’ arrival on July 1 this year.

Opgenorth said he felt Shields would incorporate current faculty, staff, professors and students into achieving his vision for the UW-Platteville campus and university.

Opgenorth served on a special committee that helped make the final decision on Shields’ recommendation and also was a student who had lunch with Shields and the other candidates during the chancellor search.

He said the final four candidates were all well-qualified.

Giroux said he felt Shields would contribute to UW-Platteville’s admission and financial aid process, which will be of definite value to the school.

It is a challenge to come to a new university, Opgenorth said, and one challenge will be facing tough economic times, which are by no means specific to UW-Platteville.

“[It is a] very difficult task to come into the UW System where the resources are limited and you’re asked to achieve more with less,” Opgenorth said.

Shields will replace UW-Platteville Interim Chancellor Carol Sue Butts.