Falk to address aiding growth in recall race

falk_MM
Former Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk said she championed bringing opposing parties on key issues together during her tenure and that the signatures gathered in her previous race demonstrate the support of the people of Wis.[/media-credit]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBIDDsFsPtQ

Want to watch the uncut interview? Check it out.

Former Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk is one of two Democrats who have announced a run against Gov. Scott Walker in a likely recall election. 

Falk served as Dane County executive for four consecutive terms from 1996 to 2011 and ran for governor in 2002, but lost during a primary.

The Badger Herald sat down with Falk to discuss her gubernatorial aspirations.

The Badger Herald: Wisconsin’s political landscape has changed a lot in the last year. What would you do to adapt to a new political scene? 

Kathleen Falk: I’d govern very differently. The hallmark of my life’s work has been bringing people together who disagree. When I was elected county executive for 15 years, one of the biggest issues was how to grow and build more homes. I brought environmentalists, realtors and builders together to protect the [Department of Natural Resources], wildlife, streams and the quality of life in the state. That’s what I’ve spent my life doing, bringing people together and solving problems.

BH: What would you do differently from your race for governor in 2002?

KF: Well first, there [are] others like my friend Tom Barrett whose running has lost twice. But last time I ran I got 1.56 million signatures, which is 50,000 more than our Democrat candidate got last year, so people [would] vote for me across the state. 

BH: Why did you decide to step down early from your position as Dane County executive in April of last year?

KF: When I was elected, I promised to get two things done. The first was to build this manure digester and we got it built. It’s helping our dairy farms to grow here and it’s the green technology [for] the future.

The other goal I had was to launch the [Coalition to Reduce Alcohol Abuse], another thing that is important on this campus. The culture of Wisconsin drinking is so off the charts on every barometer. I launched that coalition to change our culture. 

When those were done, I also turned 60 and I knew I had one more big job in me. I knew I needed to go out and get it. I told the world 16 months ago I was going to get it. 

BH: Job creation is a key issue on both sides of the aisle. What initiatives would you support to create more jobs in Wisconsin?

KF: I know I’m talking to an audience that must be thinking about this a lot. As students, you’ve got college loans to pay off and you want a job when you get through here. It is so important. What Gov. Walker did is promise to create 250,000 jobs. Even his own administration acknowledges he will fall short of that. 

There is a better way. My campaign will be speaking to that a lot in the coming months. To give you an example of what I can do, if you take real problems for cleaning up lakes, growing dairy herds and a need for green energy and you come up with a new solution you can create jobs.

BH: After seeing all the out-of-state money come into the recalls last summer, a lot of people are questioning campaign finance. Do you support campaign finance reform? And what reforms would you like to see put in place?

KF: I’m shaking my head in chagrin here. I don’t come from wealth. I suspect many of your readers don’t either. What we’ve seen is something so off that charts by any other horrendous campaign records-setting drive. Gov. Walker has collected over $4 million in the last month alone, most of which is from out-of-state. 

But what I have is a million people who want our state back. I’ve learned that there’s a point where no money can buy back the trust of the people.