UW-Stout hockey players plead not guilty to felony charges

Two former University of Wisconsin-Stout hockey players pleaded not guilty to felony charges this week in connection with a UW-Stout student’s death.

Jared Britton and Jedidiah McGlasson were both charged with aggravated battery, and McGlasson was also charged with murder.

UW-Stout spokesperson Doug Mell confirmed both students plead not guilty to the charges.

Both students were charged after Bradley Simon died Sept. 23 after being assaulted Sept. 18.

The assault followed a verbal fight at the Log Jam Tavern in Menomonie between Simon and Britton, where McGlasson and other people present.

The altercation began with somebody commenting on the fact Simon did not have a shirt on underneath his sweatshirt.

A bouncer said he kicked out a hockey player for his involvement in the fight and that led to other people leaving the bar. Britton and McGlasson left the bar through the front door and Simon left through the back door shortly after.

Witnesses saw Britton and McGlasson follow Simon as he rode away from the bar on his bike.

Simon was attacked by Britton and McGlasson as he was riding his bike, causing him to crash his bike into a concrete wall.

Simon slammed his head into the wall and sustained serious head injuries, which lead to his death.

McGlasson and Britton left the scene of the crime before the police arrived.

At the time of the incident, it was unclear if Britton or McGlasson had committed the final act that caused Simon’s death.

According to state court records, a second appearance is scheduled for Jan. 2 and the final pre-trial hearing is scheduled for Feb. 18.