Western Ilinois receives three bomb threats

The University of Western Illinois, which is recovering from the shocks of two bomb threats over the past two weeks, was the target of a yet another bomb threat Friday.

The previous two threats – on Oct. 25 and Nov. 4 – were found to have no immediate danger, WIU spokesperson Darcie Shinberger said.

The target of the bomb threats on all three occasions was Tanner Hall, a student dormitory on the Moline, Ill., campus that houses over 800 freshmen.

All three of the threats were called into the Tanner Hall clerk’s office, according to a police report.

“As soon as the call came in, Tanner Hall was evacuated immediately,” Shinberger said. “The students were directed to our lounges and dining halls, and were encouraged to go to class.”

The third bomb threat was reported at 2:30 p.m. on Friday and evacuations began almost immediately. According to a police report, Tanner Hall was reopened to student residents at 4:30 p.m. after the Office of Public Safety searched the building and found no danger.

While the second bomb threat had referenced a particular floor – the ninth – the third bomb threat gave a time frame during which the bomb would detonate. However, the time frame passed without incident.

The police report also said the university is cooperating with the FBI to find the culprits behind the threats. In addition, the university is encouraging students to phone in any suspicious activity, Shinberger said.

“Our students need to be our eyes and ears,” she said. “When they hear something, anything, they need to report it – even if it might not be serious.”

There has been no conclusive evidence towards finding the culprit.

“Our students have been incredibly patient and understanding, but also understandably frustrated,” she said. “It’s quite ridiculous and maddening, and we hope that we are able to find the person behind this incident.”

The parents of students have also voiced their concerns over the threats and have told the university they are disgusted with the individuals responsible, Shinberger said.

Shinberger said whoever is responsible for the threats will be prosecuted to fullest extent of the law.

Individuals with information about the anonymous bomb threats called into Tanner Hall should contact the WIU Office of Public Safety at 309-298-1949.