Medical amnesty moves forward

After many preliminary meetings and lengthy discussion, the University of Wisconsin student government has made the first rough draft of their new medical amnesty proposal for students.

The Associated Students of Madison Legislative Affairs Committee met with the UW Police Department two weeks ago to discuss any concerns or suggestions officers had with the proposal. UWPD already has an informal policy on not writing tickets for students who call in their friends who are drunk, but the committee wanted to make it a formal policy.

The committee will continue to edit and make changes to the proposal as issues arise.

The rough draft the committee created has a hierarchy punishment system for those students who need medical assistance. First-time offenders do not receive a drinking ticket on top of the cost of going to detox, although they must attend educational classes, said Hannah Mores, an intern in charge of the medical amnesty campaign.

Upon  the second offense, the university decides the punishment. The people who call in the intoxicated individual have an unlimited number of calls, as long as they are respectful and coherent. Student organizations will follow the same rules as well, Mores said.

“I think at the moment the most controversial part is trying to reach a common ground for someone who is a repeated offender,” said committee Secretary Elle Pennings. “This is very difficult because we need to find something the university, the students, the hospitals and police all think is fair.”

Another controversial aspect could be the elimination of a ticket for first time offenders, Polstein said.

“It breaks down into difference of opinion. Education is more valuable, but I don’t think that everyone thinks that same thing,” Polstein said. “Punitive damages are not better to prevent that from happening again.”

Unlike medical amnesty which is only in its early stages of completion, the student government will host its first annual housing informational fair Nov. 16 at the Memorial Union from 3 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

The Apartment Association of South Central Madison teamed up with the committee in order to give students better access to information about their facilities. The committee will prepare and advertise for the fair this week.

To prepare for spring, the committee also plans to meet with aldermen and create contacts for future issues they would like to amend.