Cornell Study says 35 percent of American’s too overweight to serve

Over a third of the United States potential female military recruits are ineligible to enlist because they are overweight or obese, according to a report issued by Cornell University and the Center for Disease Control.

Since 1969, the CDC has annually surveyed age-eligible US civilians and asked their approximate height and weight, according to Cornell graduate Catherine MacLean.

Along with other economists from the university, MacLean took all the available surveys from 1969-2008 and looked at the percentage of civilians meeting current military weight standards. In the 2007-2008 year, 35 percent of women and 12 percent of men were not eligible due to obesity.

“The Department of Defense has different regulations across the four branches (of the military) – Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corp,” MacLean said. “Each branch has its own weight standards, some of them vary by gender and age but they all vary by height.”

Each of the branches of the military has a set of ‘weight by height’ tables, according to MacLean. There is always a maximum weight, Body Mass Index, and percentage body fat allowable for each height. If a potential candidate does not meet any of the requirements, they are ineligible to enlist.

University of Wisconsin professor of military history John Hall said he was not surprised by these statistics, but sees the military as an organization that can counter obesity effectively.

“Despite the increased obesity rates, the military has the power to compel people to attend programs and to spend their afternoons and weekends in training to help them combat [obesity],” Hall said. “Lots of resources are available within the military to whip them into shape.”

MacLean also said obesity is the number one reason why applicants are turned away from the military.

“The military will have to consider this trend when they are designing future military plans,” MacLean said. “The really complicated problem will be on the government’s shoulders to tackle obesity and on the individual’s shoulders to adjust their own diet and exercise habits.”

Hall added these statistics are alarming indicators to the rest of society. There is a correlation between obesity and societal ills such as education and income levels.

Hall said the cost to society and to the military is going to keep increasing in the future if no prevention steps are taken.

Many Reserve Officers’ Training Corps leadership courses around college campuses stress the importance of physical fitness and staying healthy.

The UW Air Force ROTC takes many steps to ensure the eligibility of its officers, according to UW junior and ROTC Cadet First Lieutenant Kimberly Chatto.

Chatto added they have regular fitness assessments, consisting of sit-up and push-up testing and a timed mile and a half run.

Chatto said in the past year the standards have been increased, which proves how important staying healthy is.

“It is extremely important to take responsibility for your own personal health,” Chatto said. “If you aren’t staying in shape and taking care of yourself, whether a military member or just a college student, it can really hinder your daily performance.”

Correction: Due to a reporting error, the copy of this story appearing in the Oct. 20 paper, mistakenly said Kimberly Chatto was an Army ROTC Cadet First Lieutenant, however it should have said she was an Air Force ROTC Cadet First Lieutenant. We regret this error.