Leg Affairs considers entertainment venues

Along with scrapping plans for hosting gubernatorial candidates on campus this semester, the Associated Students of Madison Legislative Affairs Committee examined the different facets of Madison downtown development with city officials and community members Monday night.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, along with two other members of the Downtown Coordinating Committee, attended the meeting and discussed increasing the number and variety of downtown entertainment venues available to students.

The city’s Alcohol Licensing Density Ordinance is set to expire this October if the City Council does not renew or update it, according to Verveer. The ordinance sets strict limits on what kind and how many liquor licenses are given out in the downtown area.

Verveer said he hopes to make improvements to the ordinance by October and to make changes as soon as possible to open up more entertainment options.

“We can make some modifications immediately that will foster and encourage new alternative entertainment options that otherwise precluded by the law […], especially for those that don’t happen to be 21 or have a good fake ID,” Verveer said.

The committee discussed ideas for new entertainment places in the downtown area including a movie theater, a dueling piano bar, a dance club and a new venue for live music.

“In my personal conversations with people, a movie theater definitely comes up a lot. Everyone recognizes the Orpheum exists, but not many people will go there for a movie because they don’t show first run movies,” Chair Adam Johnson said. “Those are the movies that people will pay money to go to.”

The prospective high-speed railway station locations, including the Kohl Center, Monona Terrace, Dane County Regional Airport and Yahara station were also discussed at the meeting.

DCC Chair Troy Thiel said even though the City Council does not have a final say about where the station would be located they should have a voice in the decision.

“The reality is that we are going to be the fiscal carrier of a lot of the ongoing expenses and we really should have a voice. The other communities have had a voice,” Thiel said.

Thiel added DCC believes the Yahara station would be the best location for the high-speed rail because it is close to a lot of other transit areas in other parts of the city and could give the East Washington area an economic lift.

Vice Chair Sam Polstein said the meeting was informative for downtown issues facing students.

“It’s really important that we maintain the relationship between city officials and students, and I think Leg Affairs is a great way to do that,” Polstein said, “I hope this is the first of many meetings where city officials talk to students directly.”

LAC abandoned plans to have the gubernatorial candidates speak on campus because of problems getting in contact with the major candidates, according to Vice Chair Kyle Woolwich. They will continue to focus on bringing the candidates to campus for a debate next fall.