UW-Parkside student radio station shuttered

The University of Wisconsin-Parkside student radio station was issued a cease and desist order from the Federal Communications Commission last week for broadcasting too strong of a signal without a license.

In addition to noting the strength of the station’s signal, the FCC order stated a station such as WIPZ 88.5 could only broadcast within the immediate area, which it had failed to do.

“It’s a question of power limits, no you do not need a license if you’re under that power limit, but if you’re over that power limit, than you are operating without a license,” FCC spokesperson David Fiske said. “We enforce licensing requirements because if we didn’t there would be the potential for interference.”

UW-Parkside spokesperson Dave Buchanan said he believes the station will be back on the air Monday. He said they are working on adjusting the power settings so they comply with the FCC’s regulations.

While Fiske said the radio station could be subject to further enforcement if they continue to violate FCC rules, they are not issuing any fines to WIPZ.

“We very much appreciate the FCC not fining us, it’s as much as $10,000 a day for these sort of things, and I think the FCC understands there was no criminal intent to circumvent the regulations,” Buchanan said.

According to the notice sent from the FCC, they received information that WIPZ was broadcasting a strong signal without a license. FCC agents confirmed the information on March 17 and again on March 23, and determined WIPZ’s signal was over the power levels allowed for unlicensed operation.

Buchanan also said WIPZ moved from an old classroom into a recently expanded student center at the beginning of 2010. However, he said he doesn’t believe this had anything to do with the power situation of the station.

University of Wisconsin Madison’s student radio station, WSUM 91.7, does have a license from the FCC to broadcast, according to WSUM’s website.

WSUM applied for a license, and after winning a legal battle over the placement of their broadcasting tower in Montrose, they began broadcasting with a license on Feb. 22, 2002 out of Vilas Hall.