Bill would shorten holding times for shelter animals

New legislation would decrease animal shelter holding times, save lives of animal fighting victims
Flickr user Ansel Edwards

A proposed bill would shorten holding times for shelter animals and allow them to be adopted more quickly, but it has caused outcry from some who argue its measures might backfire.

While the bill, authored by Rep. John Spiros, R-Marshfield, was largely designed to protect animals in pending court cases involving abuse or fighting, Humane Society leaders have focused on a provision that would decrease holding times from seven to four days, which could lead to early euthanasia.

Under current law, when an owner surrenders an animal, that animal can be adopted out immediately, Kathy Pobloskie, Lost Dogs of Wisconsin spokesperson, said. Stray animals are held for seven days in Wisconsin, she said, the longest hold time in the country. Animals involved in court cases involving abuse are kept until cases close, which can sometimes be years, she said.

Under the bill, court case animals would no longer have to be held until a case is adjudicated.

Pobloskie said the shortened four day holding period would put animals in danger, allowing them to be euthanized just four days after they arrive in shelters.

“We have some very good shelters in Wisconsin … that will make every effort to get those animals adopted,” she said. “But we have some very poor shelters in Wisconsin as well that now have the legal ability to put that animal down on the fifth day.”

But Jill Kline, Community Impact Programs at the Wisconsin Humane Society vice president, expressed strong support for the legislation, saying its primary goal is to keep animals safe, not to euthanize them.

“The goal overall is to save more lives,” she said.

The Wisconsin Humane Society specifically does not euthanize animals for reasons of time and space, Kline said. Animals have as long as they need to find their homes, regardless of the minimum holding period, she said.

Under the shortened hold period, animal owners would not be given enough time to find their missing pets, Pobloskie said.

But Kline said the extra three days don’t make a difference in whether or not lost pets are found. She said only 1 percent of pets are reclaimed after their fifth day in the shelter.

Kline said humane societies would still be able to hold animals for seven days or more if they felt it was necessary, but the goal is always to get animals out of shelters to loving owners, since shelters often cause animals stress and illness.

“Our number one priority is always to get them home,” she said.

The bill also includes a provision that would prevent euthanasia for animals involved in abuse or fighting, allowing these animals to be adopted if it is safe to do so.

Under current law, dogs who were victims of dog fighting are required to be euthanized, according to the fiscal estimate for the bill.