‘Elected Woman of Excellence’ recipient Rep. Hesselbein discusses political career

Hesselbein works to address student loan debt, help veteran students at UW
Photo Courtesy of Rep. Hesselbein

Rep. Dianne Hesselbein, D-Middleton, is unfazed by being a female in a male-dominated field. She said being a woman has advantages but in her experience, it is much more difficult to convince a woman to run for a position than a man.

Hesselbein is one of the 18 women legislators who was named a 2015 “Elected Woman of Excellence” Tuesday in Oklahoma City. Colleagues across the country nominated young women who they felt deserved recognition for their commitments to their districts. A panel of leaders from the National Foundation for Women Legislators evaluated them and selected the finalists.  

Hesselbein said her favorite part about being a Wisconsin legislator is collaborating with her colleagues to create legislation that can help Wisconsinites. But, strong partisanship often hinders progress. Currently, she is trying to address student loan debt in the state by giving students and adults carrying debt the ability to refinance their student loans. However, she says the lack of Republican support is difficult.

“My least favorite part in the Assembly is the partisanship. It is really unfortunate that we cannot work for our districts because some Republicans in the building still don’t talk to me,” Hesselbein said.

Hesselbein claims redistricting could help decrease the partisanship. She is sponsoring a bill modeled after Iowa that would change Wisconsin redistricting. She said the legislation would make districts more fair and probably more competitive, which could lead to increased bipartisanship.

As a ranking Democrat member of the Assembly Committee on Veterans and Military Affairs, Hesselbein has been able to generate bipartisan discussion when it comes to student veterans.

She has been talking to University of Wisconsin veteran students who have returned from Iraq and Afghanistan and is trying to make their transitions back to school smoother for them. On that note, Hesselbein says that Republican lawmakers have been willing to help her meet the needs of veteran students.

Hesselbein said she tries to be a legislator that is responsive to the public’s needs.

“It is important that if your elected official isn’t [listening to you] that you step up to the plate and you say ‘you know, I think I can do a better job,’” Hesselbein said.

In Oklahoma City, Hesselbein interacted with fellow award winners in a conference which focused on the two major issues of correction reform and sex trafficking in America. Hesselbein said legislators did not have a “’D’ or ‘R’ next to their names” at the conference, which led to bipartisan collaboration.

Hesselbein said she was humbled and surprised to be recognized as an Elected Woman of Excellence. 

“I was amazed. I was really shocked when I got the email saying that I was chosen and really thrilled that someone thought so highly of me to even nominate me,” Hesselbein said.