Democrats advance to general Senate recall elections

All four Senate-aspiring Democrats defeated placeholder candidates in recall primaries Tuesday and will go on to face Republican senators in a set of general elections that may change the Senate’s majority party.

According to the Associated Press, based on preliminary results, Lori Compas won the Democratic Senate primary for the district of Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, with 72 percent of the vote, defeating Gary Ellerman, who received 28 percent of the vote.

Rep. Donna Seidel, D-Wausau, defeated James Buckley for the district of former Sen. Pam Galloway, R-Wausau, with 64 percent to Buckley’s 36 percent.

John Lehman defeated Tamra Varebrook for the district of Sen. Van Wanggaard, R-Racine, with 68 percent of the vote. Varebrook received 32 percent.

Kristen Dexter won the primary for the district of Sen. Terry Moulton, R-Chippewa Falls, with 64 percent of the vote. James Engel received 36 percent of the vote.

“I’m grateful that my supporters got out in large numbers and helped me beat the fake Democrat,” Dexter said.

She said her campaign will focus on voter turnout and helping voters understand how Moulton’s policies have hurt middle class families, small business and students.

Moulton campaign spokesman Matt Capristo said in a statement the reforms Moulton has pursued have benefited the state.

“Voters now have a clear choice – take Wisconsin back to billion dollar tax increases, multi-billion dollar budget deficits and historic job losses under Kristen Dexter or continue moving forward with balanced budgets, declining property taxes and an economy on the rise with Terry Moulton,” Capristo said in a statement.

However, Democratic candidates have not raised as much money as the Republican senators. As of May 5, according to the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign, Fitzgerald had raised more than $712,000, compared to Compas who had raised about $105,000. Wanggaard had raised about $252,000 to Lehman’s roughly $104,000.

Moulton led Dexter $186,000 to $102,000. Seidel is the only Democrat to raise more than her opponent, Rep. Jerry Petrowski, R-Marathon, raising $102,000 to Petrowski’s $95,500.

Mike McCabe, WDC executive director, said a spending advantage would not increase the probability of a candidate winning. He said polls show Gov. Scott Walker and Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett in a tie, despite Walker raising 25 times the amount Barrett has raised.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.