State reaches 100,000 milestone for carry permits

With hundreds of applications flowing in every day, the Department of Justice last week issued the 100,000th concealed carry permit in the state since the law passed last year, Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen announced Friday.

Van Hollen said the department has been flooded with applications, reaching the 100,000 milestone in just six months. Van Hollen estimated the state would approve 125,000 permits by the end of the first year.

Making the announcement in one of the DOJ’s rooms where the permits are printed off, Van Hollen applauded the efforts of the DOJ staff and law enforcement officials for making the distribution of permits a smooth and efficient process.

“There were doomsday people out there, before concealed carry was passed, who were predicting, of course, the doom and gloom that when we put more guns on the street, that we’re going to have more problems,” Van Hollen said. “Nothing could have been further from the truth.”

Van Hollen said the permits have been less controversial than opponents would make it seem and said the state has not had any problems so far, adding that concealed carry laws also exist in 48 other states.

According to Van Hollen, handgun permits and purchases have increased at a “record pace” since the law was passed.

Sen. Kelda Helen Roys, D-Madison, said she was very disappointed when the Legislature “irresponsibly” moved forward to eliminate even the bare minimum requirements that were put in place by Van Hollen.

Roys also pointed out law enforcement officials were opposed to the law’s passage.

“Part of [law enforcement officials’] concern is that throughout their jobs, they have to always be approaching people in cars and vehicles in unknown situations and not be able to know if those people are packing heat,” Roys said.

Wisconsin National Rifle Association spokesman Jeff Nass said the safety of Wisconsin citizens has been greatly enhanced as a result of the law. Nass said the law specifically benefits women, as it places them on a “level playing field.”

Nass cited a recent incident at an Aldi’s grocery store in Milwaukee where a man with a concealed carry permit fired on a man seen carrying a sawed-off shotgun and threatening a cashier as an example of the law in action.

Nass also questioned the criticism surrounding the law because of how prevalent he said similar laws are in other states.

“I don’t know why Wisconsin would be any different,” Nass said. “The people of Wisconsin are as law-abiding and as responsible – or more so – than other states in this country, and I’m not sure why anybody would question that.”

After the controversial shooting of Travyon Martin – an unarmed teenager who was killed in Florida – gun issues have been at the front of the national stage throughout the last several weeks. When asked if he supported the “Stand Your Ground” laws intended for self-defense claims that were recently implemented in Florida and other states, Van Hollen showed enthusiasm for the laws.

“I’m not opposed to the ability of law-abiding citizens to defend themselves, their liberty, their family and their property,” he said.