Capitol honors memory of Dick Wheeler

trickydicky_MH
Gwyn Guenther, daughter of Dick Wheeler, is warmly embraced during the memorial for her father on Tuesday. Gwyn spoke during the memorial, highlighting her father’s devotion to his job as a steward of Wisconsin political journalism.[/media-credit]

A memorial held for a longtime and influential political reporter brought many together in the Capitol to pay their respects to his memory, his family and his contributions to Wisconsin’s political atmosphere.

Dick Wheeler, who worked in the press corps at the Capitol for 39 years, died Friday.

The memorial service was held Tuesday in the Capitol rotunda and attended by several hundred people. The three speakers at the memorial were Sen. Fred Risser, D-Madison, Sen. Mike Ellis, R-Neenah, and Wheeler’s daughter, Gwyn Guenther.

Risser, who has worked at the Capitol since 1956, spoke of his friendship with Wheeler.

“This rotunda has been the scene of many stories over the years. It is fitting that we meet here in memory of the man who reported on so many of them,” Risser said.

Risser said he and Wheeler were friends and they often discussed issues of the day and politicians that have come and passed.

According to Risser, Wheeler had a deep understanding of the rules of the Legislature, perhaps even more than some legislators themselves.

“Dick was truly an institution within an institution,” Risser said.

The second speaker was Ellis, who began his work at the Capitol the year after Wheeler.

Ellis said the press room in the Capitol has been named the Dick Wheeler Press Room in honor of Wheeler’s years of contribution to the place.

“Dick Wheeler held a torch of integrity, honesty and tenaciousness,” Ellis said.

He said Wheeler and his fellow reporters set the template for making sure Wisconsin gets the real facts about what happens in their government.

Both Risser and Ellis spoke of Wheeler’s integrity and adherence to confidentiality in his reporting.

“The shenanigans in the Wisconsin Legislature will continue, but they won’t be the same without Dick Wheeler,” Risser said.

The third and final speaker was Guenther, who is also a political journalist working at the Capitol.

Guenther said despite Wheeler’s passing, the Wheeler Report is not going anywhere. 

It will continue to give the Wisconsin Legislature its opinion on what the Legislature is doing right and what it is doing wrong, she said.

“My dad loved what he did. He said, ‘The day I stop loving what I do, I will stop coming here [to the Capitol],'” Guenther said.

She said that quote spoke volumes, as her father passed away as he was getting ready for work Friday morning.

According to Guenther, Wheeler said he did not care who won the race for governor in the most recent election. He said he had covered eight governors, and he covered them all the same.

“Our job is to cover the office, not the person,” Wheeler said.

Guenther said her whole life, Wheeler expected nothing less than the best from everyone around him.

She said he did not understand putting forth anything but one’s best.

“He expected nothing but 100 percent from himself and expected no less from others,” she said.

In closing, Guenther shared some advice she believed Wheeler would have endorsed. She addressed legislators, protestors, staff and others.

She also addressed the press, saying that although they may receive stupid answers, there are no stupid questions.

“Don’t be afraid to ask if you don’t know something. We all started somewhere,” Guenther said.