Walker sworn into office

walker-2-2w
Gov. Scott Walker addresses the crowd at the Capitol during his inauguration ceremony Jan. 3.[/media-credit]

During Gov. Scott Walker’s Jan. 3 inauguration, the call for more Wisconsin jobs was audible both outside on the Capitol’s steps as well as inside, with a celebration for his election victory in the rotunda.

After being sworn into office, Walker spoke of his love for Wisconsin and for his family, but his overriding message and former campaign mantra was loud and clear: “Wisconsin is open for business.”

Walker, who was not available for media interviews, said he plans for 250,000 new jobs by 2015, a goal he acknowledged was ambitious. Soon after taking the oath of office, he called a special session of the State Legislature to begin his plan for job creation.

Outside the Capitol, an ever-growing group of protesters stood on the building’s steps ready to hold him to his promise.

The inauguration ceremony began at noon, but as early as 10 a.m. a handful of sign-wielding protesters gathered near Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. As the time of the ceremony grew closer, the number of protesters grew exponentially and the loudest voices did not come from Madison, but from Milwaukee.

During his inaugural speech, Walker pointed to the success of former Gov. Tommy Thompson, a Republican who served for all of the 1990s, as an example of achieving big economic goals.

“By the end of his first term, the people of our state had created 258,000 new jobs,” Walker said.

The plan for job growth means less taxation, regulation and litigation costs for employers, Walker said, as well as turning the Department of Commerce into a semi-private agency. 

Walker has influenced the state’s political landscape before he even had an official day in office. He was a vocal opponent against a high-speed rail for Wisconsin, the funds for which were taken away from Wisconsin last month. Walker worked to stop the rail from taking root in the state.

Many protesters felt the high-speed rail loss was detrimental to Milwaukee jobs, and were eager for the governor to reach his goal.

“We’ve been promised 250,000 jobs. We will settle for nothing less,” said Rev. Leondis Fuller, who came to Madison from the New Covenant Baptist Church in Milwaukee.

Milwaukee Inner City Congregations Allied for Hope and Organized Grow among other groups hailing from Milwaukee gathered, some wearing “We need good jobs now” t-shirts, as well as orange ribbons to support “good jobs for Milwaukee.”

According to Capitol Police Chief Charles Tubbs, 100-150 people were at the rally, which was overall “uneventful,” however, there was one arrest made that afternoon in relation to the inauguration.

There were signs featuring a myriad of issues from pro-choice to American foreign policy, but the most signs were about job creation and retention. Kevin Macon, a member of Union for Milwaukee County Transit, wore a sack garment with the word “peasant” across it. A number of protesters marched around the square with bandanas covering their mouths and black flags.

Speeches from Milwaukee community leaders continued until the time for the ceremony drew nearer. The protest then marched to street they anticipated Walker would enter the Capitol.

Monday’s ceremony also marked the beginning of several elected officials’ terms. State Treasurer Kurt Schuller, Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen, and Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch all swore the oath of office. Secretary of State Douglas La Follete, whose term also began Jan. 3, was not present.

“It’s an awesome experience to serve as your attorney general…I will work with [Walker] hand in hand to move this state forward,” Van Hollen said.