Radical group threatens state governors via letter

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is warning law enforcement agencies across the country to be on the lookout for suspicious activity after a radical secessionist group sent letters to multiple governors, including Gov. Jim Doyle, telling them to step down from office.

Doyle received the letter last Wednesday, said Department of Administration spokesperson Carla Vigue in an email to The Badger Herald.

“The Governor’s security detail is aware of the letter and, as always, closely monitoring his safety,” Vigue said in the email.

The Guardians of the Free Republics, the group that sent the letters, promotes dismantling the federal government to “restore and reinhabit the free American republics,” according to their website.

They believe the current government and court system are actually illicit corporations in disguise, and oppose taxes and other responsibilities of citizenship such as registering their motor vehicles and applying for state-issued marriage licenses.

The group does not condone violence and wishes to carry out its goals “peacefully, discreetly, quietly and honorably,” according to their website.

Leonard Peace, spokesperson for the Milwaukee office of the FBI, said there does not appear to be any immediate or credible threat of violence as part of this group’s plan.

The FBI has shared the information they have with federal, state and local officials to ensure they are equipped to better recognize any activities that would be consistent with homeland security threats.

“We always ask the police and law enforcement partners to be vigilant and report suspicious activity that they see that could be associated with this type of activities,” Peace said.

According to an internal intelligence note from the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security obtained by the Associated Press, the letter had been sent to more than 30 governors by last Wednesday, telling them to leave office in the next three days or they would be removed.

Peace said he believes the letter has been sent to all 50 governors by now.

As part of the ongoing investigation, Peace added the FBI will continue to look into the information available and work with government officials to identify any threats.