Susan G. Komen Foundation reinstates Planned Parenthood funding after negative feedback

The Susan G. Komen Foundation for breast cancer awareness announced the organization will reverse its recent decision to cut funding to Planned Parenthood after a wave of criticism called the decision political.

According to a statement by the foundation, the cut to Planned Parenthood’s funding was not politically driven.

“Our original desire was to fulfill our fiduciary duty to our donors by not funding grant applications made by organizations under investigation,” the statement said. “We will amend the criteria to make clear that disqualifying investigations must be criminal and conclusive in nature and not political. That is what is right and fair.”

A statement from Planned Parenthood said there has been pressure from conservatives over the past few years to defund Planned Parenthood, but the decision was only made when Susan G. Komen put an anti-choice campaigner on its board.

The statement said Planned Parenthood has often been the target of pro-life organizations that are against funding it.

“Anti-choice groups in America have repeatedly threatened the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation for partnering with Planned Parenthood to provide lifesaving cancer screenings,” Planned Parenthood said in the statement.

Planned Parenthood spokesperson Stephanie Wilson said Planned Parenthood in Madison is not currently receiving funding from Susan G. Komen and has not been for a while. There are also no current grant conversations between the two organizations.

University of Wisconsin sociology professor Myra Ferree said the decision to continue funding Planned Parenthood was a political one.

“Apparently [Susan G. Komen] has not promised to renew the funding for Planned Parenthood, but only removed them from the disqualified list,” Ferree said. “I think the decision was obviously political as was their response since the claim about them having a case pending didn’t disqualify other groups.”

A statement from the South Central Wisconsin Affiliate of Susan G. Komen said the national decision to cut funding to Planned Parenthood would not have affected the local branch’s obligation to Wisconsin women.

The statement asked for support from local women to “move forward.”

“What was happening nationally was never going to change our local commitment to the uninsured women, men and families in Dane County,” the statement said. “We urge everyone who has participated in this conversation the last few days to help us move forward. We promise to fight harder than ever to accomplish our mission and we vow to work harder than ever to win back your support.”

In its statement, Planned Parenthood announced its plans to launch a Breast Health Emergency Fund.

The fund would help to take the place of money from Komen, according the statement.

“The fund will offset the support that 19 local Planned Parenthood programs stand to lose from Komen,” the statement said. “The Komen-funded Planned Parenthood programs have helped thousands of women in rural and under-served communities get breast health education, screenings and referrals for mammograms.”

The statement also provided statistics that said one in five women in America visit Planned Parenthood in their lifetime. More than 90 percent of Planned Parenthood health care is preventive, including cancer screenings, birth control, prevention and treatment of STIs, breast health services, Pap tests and sexual health education and information, the statement said.