R’ Place makes case for license at ALRC

ALRC_JS
R’ Place owner Rick Flowers argues in front of the city’s Alcohol License Review Committee at a special hearing Monday.[/media-credit]

The owner of a south-side Madison bar presented his case in front of a city committee, defending his liquor license against a complaint seeking to revoke the establishment’s liquor license following some violent and disorderly disruptions over the past few months.

The city’s Alcohol License Review Committee has held hearings regarding the revocation of the South Park Street bar R’ Place’s Class B Combination Alcohol Beverage License since October 2010, with instances of leave given for sickness and witness retrieval for the defendant.

“My only function is to move this case along to get it to the committee,” ALRC member David Hart said. “If that makes me the bad guy, that’s fine. We just need to start talking tonight.”

Assistant City Attorney Jennifer Zilavy issued a supplemental complaint April 1, adding four additional counts of Madison General Ordinance violations to the original complaint.

The original complaint illustrated instances of firearm and knife possession, shootings, domestic battery and various altercations and disturbances.

R’ Place owner Rick Flowers’ attorney Anthony Delyea argued against Madison Police Department Captain Joe Balles’ testimony that he was closing down Flowers because R’ Place is too dangerous.

Extensive comparisons to Wiggie’s bar were made throughout to illustrate instances of possible bias, arguing similar instances occurred at both locations, but only R’ Place was being targeted for revocation.

“Three of the violent events at Wiggie’s occurred after the city moved against R’ Place,” Delyea said. “Oddly enough, they are quite similar to the incidents at R’ Place.”

Delyea presented a short video clip from an R’ Place security camera as evidence to contradict police claims that the resources to help R’ Place were unavailable.

The clip depicted a police car near R’ Place during a violent incident that occurred March 13.

“They have resources sitting across the street, but when [R’ Place] asks for help, they won’t help us,” Delyea said.

Flowers’ wife Annie Weatherby-Flowers was called forth as a key witness.

Weatherby-Flowers said the average age of R’ Place patrons is between 35 and 40 years old, with regular events such as fundraisers and baby showers.

Weatherby-Flowers said the bar has also undergone proactive changes to increase safety for patrons. Such changes allegedly include metal detectors, an enforced dress code, security cameras and additional security officers.

Still, she said the bar has earned a reputation as a place where “thugs” hang out.

Balles he had urged Flowers and his wife early on to change the business model, with options such as including a kitchen in order to serve food along with liquor, forming a private club and closing earlier in the night. Balles said these changes could help to diminish crime in the area.

“I was looking for some cooperation,” he said. “We had a serious situation on our hands.”

Because of late hours and a lack of preparation on behalf of Flowers and his attorney, Hart adjourned the committee prematurely.

He requested Delyea provide the city with a written witness list within 24 hours of the meeting. The committee will continue the revocation hearing May 23 at 5:30 p.m.