Former Meet the Press moderator shares his spiritual journey with UW students

David Gregory says his new book explores the most important questions in life

Former NBC correspondent David Gregory visited University of Wisconsin for the first time on Monday to discuss his new book, “How’s Your Faith?,” which explores Gregory’s religious journey in the secular journalistic field.

A big crowd gathered at the Upperhouse in East Campus Mall to listen to the journalist speak about his struggle to find faith throughout his political career. He addressed the two things people are told never to talk about: religion and politics.

Gregory said Former President George W. Bush, with whom he worked closely during his administration, first encouraged him to question his faith while visiting Bush’s Texas ranch. Doing his best Bush impersonation, Gregory described how Bush asked him, “So Gregory, how’s your faith?” He said the question not only inspired Gregory’s book but also set him on his spiritual path.

“This is not a book about politics or media,” Gregory said. “It is a book about me trying to answer the most important questions in my life: Who am I? How shall I live? Who is it that I am trying to become? And what gives my life ultimate meaning and purpose?”

Gregory said he questioned whether strengthening his faith would make him a better person and journalist. After his visit with Bush, he evaluated himself, digging deeper to uncover who he wanted to be in life. His gratitude for his success in the White House, his three kids and wife Beth pushed him toward his faith journey.

Gregory’s wife, who was raised Methodist, supported his effort to deepen his connection to his Jewish faith. He said she allowed Gregory to raise their children Jewish, helping him dive deeper into the religion’s tradition.

Acknowledging Shabbat, the Jewish day of rest, was a major turning point for Gregory because it forced him to take time out of his busy schedule for his faith, instilling tradition in himself and his children. Gregory said through Jewish traditions he recognized his desire to be closer to God. He said he observed how fulfilling and soulfully beneficial the family gatherings were for him.

The harder part for Gregory was to fight the temptation to only observe his faith on the weekend, when the traditions occur, and keep them separate from the workplace, he said.

“There is no separation.” Gregory said. “There is just one life. We have to try to bring our best selves into that space.”

Gregory’s religion was tested even further when he lost his job as a correspondent on “Meet the Press.” He described the humility he experienced while facing public speculation and scrutiny. After spending half of his life on television, Gregory talked about how difficult it was for him to come to terms with the fact that people cared less about him. But during his struggle and vulnerability, Gregory realized his faith still teaches.

Gregory acknowledges that he still does not have his faith completely figured out. He said book magnified his weaknesses in his book to provide comfort to the faithful, conveying to them that they are not alone on their faith journeys.

“Ultimately, how’s your faith?” Gregory said. “For me the question is still a work in progress. I’m on a path, and I’m not there yet, but the journey will matter, the journey will have meaning.”