UW student passes away while studying abroad in Spain

University officials say foul play is not suspected, other students not at risk

A University of Wisconsin junior died unexpectedly Monday while studying abroad in Barcelona, Spain, according to a statement from UW Communications.

The student, Alexander Fish, was from Mequon, Wisconsin, and majored in international business and finance.

Foul play is not suspected and other UW students in the study abroad program are not in danger, Susannah Brooks, spokesperson for UW Communications said in the statement.

Fish was on the Dean’s List for three semesters and involved in the Capital Management Club, Badger Diabetes Advocates, Society of Personal Investments, Alpha Delta Phi Fraternity, Fantasy Sports Finance Club and the Sellery Hall Association.

“We grieve with Alex’s loved ones, now and in the coming weeks,” Lori Berquam, dean of students, said in the statement. “His excitement at exploring the world exemplifies what it means to be a Badger. Alex was extremely involved on our campus, and his loss will be felt by many.”

UW has reached out to Fish’s family to assist them in bringing him back to the U.S.

There is currently no information regarding a memorial service. Students seeking grief counseling or support should contact University Health Services.