Students express concerns over course costs at ASM

Student government is also looking to improve efficiency, recruiting methods
401kcalculator.org

Associated Students of Madison held their first coordinating council meeting, and students voiced their concerns over course costs and the expiration of the Perkins Loan.

During the open forum, Student Services Finance Committee Rep. Colin Barushok stood up to speak about extra costs many courses on campus add to the already extensive list of expenses such as tuition and books. He said these extra costs range from online services intended to help professors take attendance, to required course packets containing documents the professor posted online later.

He said the costs do not benefit students’ learning but instead create convenience for the administration of a course.

“Changes need to be made so all students can receive a fair and equal learning experience. These are issues students are concerned about and I passed this on to ASM because I trust they will do something about it,” Barushok said.

The Student Council Chair, Madison Laning, discussed the importance of the Federal Perkins Loan, which is a loan that aids about 4,600 students on campus. If the loan was to expire then the help these students receive would be gone. She said Wisconsin residents should contact their legislator to discuss the importance of this program and show their support to keep it running.

The ASM council members also brainstormed ways to get more students involved in student government. They want to keep recruiting throughout the year as opposed to the beginning of fall and spring semesters. Members of the council suggested all committees of ASM be split up and shared with students who are interested, so they can appeal to people with different interests.

During updates from the chair, Ariela Rivkin, the Finance Committee Chair, said the committee has been receiving many applications for funds such as travel grants. But she said the application process is confusing for many organizations, and the committee is hosting an informational meeting to help make the process easier for all groups who apply.

The ASM council said there have been many changes to how the student government works, and this year is critical in developing and deciding how to adjust to these changes.