Chadima texts reference alcohol, bar meetings

Text messages sent by former University of Wisconsin Athletic Department official John Chadima included multiple references to alcohol, which may prompt further changes in university policy.

Documents obtained by The Badger Herald include Chadima’s text correspondence before, during and after the team’s trip, with many of the names and conversations with his correspondents redacted.

In one text message in December, an individual references the Echo Tap, a bar near campus, asking, “hey, when can we meet up for this exit interview? Preferably not at the echo.”

Chadima responds, “preferably at the echo!!”

Texts also presumably sent to student employees show Chadima asked for his room to be cleaned and his laundry delivered.

Chadima, a former senior associate athletic director, resigned in early January after being accused of sexually assaulting a male student Athletic Department employee at a party during the Badgers’ trip to the Rose Bowl.

The assault reportedly took place following a party held Dec. 30 for Athletic Department employees, which resulted in more than $1,000 in damages. In a later text, Chadima apologized for the damages and said, “managers admitted to it, so they will pay 4 any damages.”

A 30-page report released by an independent review committee on the assault also reported Chadima provided alcohol to underage students.

According to the report, Chadima was accused of reaching into the pants of a student worker and then threatening to have the student fired. In texts sent on the night of the party, Chadima said, “you are fired. Sending you home on a greyhound tomorrow.”

According to Vince Sweeney, vice chancellor for university relations, a committee established by UW Interim Chancellor David Ward is still in the early stages of a review on alcohol policies.

Sweeney added that the group, led by UW Vice Chancellor Darrell Bazzell, will review the university’s alcohol policies to create them if not in place, or update them if needed.

Sweeney added current general policies mandate that UW does not purchase alcohol with state money or tuition revenue.

“I think there’s progress being made,” Sweeney said. “I know there’s been discussion about how best to proceed. It is moving forward, perhaps not as swiftly as some would like, but it is moving forward given the complexity of the process.”

Sweeney added Bazzell is currently reaching out to campus and gathering people to assist him on the project. Sweeney also described the process as a “major undertaking.”

The committee will later develop a plan to communicate and raise more awareness of UW policies on alcohol, Sweeney said.

An investigation into two other allegations against Chadima is ongoing.