City officials urge active student role in Mifflin planning

legaffairs_AF
Legislative Affairs member Maria Giannopoulos reports back to the committee on her meeting with Mayor Paul Soglin discussing details for the Mifflin Block Party.[/media-credit]

Madison city officials and University of Wisconsin students are currently in the early stages of organizing the next Mifflin Street Block Party’s sponsor and permit holder.

The Mifflin Street Block Party’s permit holder needs to be a non-profit organization for the block party to happen, student government officials reported to members of the Associated Students of Madison’s Legislative Affairs Committee following a meeting with city officials.

This non-profit organization legally blocks off and closes Mifflin Street, Legislative Affairs member Maria Giannopoulos said.

Leg Affairs members also said there must be a sponsor to provide small necessities such as accessible bathrooms and vendors.

Giannopoulous added Mayor Paul Soglin is asking for students to take more responsibility for the planning of the block party.

“The city officials are asking for students to take over and find sponsors and permit holders, but I don’t know if that’s too much for someone to do that stuff,” Giannopoulos said.

Students met with WSUM student radio’s manager Dave Black, last year’s Mifflin sponsor, for suggestions and input for the event this year, but said he was not optimistic.

Legislative Affairs Chair Hannah Somers and Giannopoulos also suggested students could show Mifflin will change by creating a group of students which could help the Madison police.

“Forming a group as an opportunity, students can show they are taking responsibilities,” Somers said.

Students who met with city officials are also concerned about whom to contact to be sponsors and permit holders and what happens if there is no willing organization to take up the positions this year.

If an organization does not request the permit, the city would control any activity around the street with police enforcement, Giannopoulos added.

“I spoke to a friend of mine and he said that even if there is no Mifflin, they would still have our own party during the day time inside their own house,” Rep. Andrew Mackens said.

Giannopoulos said Mifflin residents could potentially be ticketed without a sponsor and permit holder.

Mackens and Giannopoulos were also concerned about how much work students will need to put into the project to find a sponsor and permit holder for Mifflin.

“There are some places that haven’t said no to anyone, so there should be no reason we can’t ask them,” Mackens said.

People will still show up for Mifflin no matter what the outcome, the two representatives said. They also said without a sponsor it would be a less organized event.

Further action plans will be discussed Thursday with the community and city. No decisions have been made, but tentative plans to gather more input will be established, Giannopoulos stated.

“We were given the only chance that students had to compromise,” Somers said. “I feel like if we back out and we don’t get a permit or have any way to organize it then we are giving up the one chance we had.”