Sustainability contest aims to solve environmental problems

A University of Wisconsin center for environmental studies is expanding the range of global issues addressed at an annual student competition to promote new ideas to approach sustainability.

The Global Stewards Sustainability Prize competition, which calls for students to submit proposals for solving environmental issues, previously focused on climate change, but it is now open to other global sustainability problems. Originally called the Climate Leadership Challenge, the contest is hosted annually by the Center for Sustainability and the Global Environment – a research center within the Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies.

“I’m excited to see how this year’s new model works out,” environmental studies professor Tracey Holloway, who helps run the contest, said. “In the past, a lot of students had great ideas that didn’t relate directly to climate change. Calling it sustainability allows more students to participate and generate more innovative ideas.”

Holloway said she encourages every student with an innovative idea to apply. A panel of anonymous judges will evaluate the students’ proposals based on certain criteria.

The contest provides opportunities for students to engage in real-world problem solving with major prizes at stake, Holloway said. She added the program helps businesses in local communities and encourages awareness of environmental issues, which allows students to have a global impact.

“There are three main things the judges are looking for,” Holloway said. “They want it to be something new and innovative, something that the students will be able to implement with the $15,000 prize and something that has the potential to grow and catch on in the future.”

The prizes for the competition start at $2,000 for the eight finalists, with an additional $15,000 for the remaining three finalists and a top prize of $50,000 to help the winning student or group to convert that first-place idea into reality.

Chris Meyer, a former UW student and 2009 competition winner, is now the competition’s coordinator. He is also the founder of Sector67, a non-profit workspace for students in Madison with innovative ideas. He opened Sector67 in 2010 with the money he earned in the contest.

“UW gives students an awesome opportunity because there are so many contests here that don’t just offer monetary prizes but gives them valuable experience in formulating and presenting a business plan and environmental impact plan,” Meyer said.

Meyer added the contest allows students to express their ideas and implement them in an effort to support environmental changes.

Carol Barford, interim director of the Center for Sustainability and the Global Environment, said other past winners have created a smartphone application concept to help consumers find locally grown food in supermarkets and outdoor ovens and stoves for use in producing cocoa in Haiti.

Barford added the success of past students’ innovations make her excited for the contest this year.

“This contest really has an over-arching goal to foster attitudes of problem-solving and positive action with respect to environmental problems,” Barford said. “We encourage everyone with an idea to apply, especially those with good ideas that just don’t know how to get them started.”