UW to change SOAR placement testing procedures

Due largely to feedback from students, the University of Wisconsin is changing the way it administers placement tests in order to give students more time to focus on the advising process and registering for classes.

New students will now be required to take placement tests before the Student Orientation, Advising and Registration program and will also have the option to take the test in paper or computer format.

“We’re happy to make changes to make this process as convenient as possible,” John Lucas, a spokesperson for UW, said in an email to The Badger Herald.

Additionally, students expressed the desire for computer-based placement tests and for increasing options in test sites and locations, the statement said.

According to the statement, the Center for the First-Year Experience recently decided to implement three primary changes to SOAR’s two-day program after a review of the UW orientation program that began in 2009.

First, students must now complete placement tests before SOAR, allowing the orientation process to emphasize advising and enrollment.

“This will give students more time to carefully consider classes and more time for reflection,” said Carren Martin, the co-interim director for the Center for the First-Year Student Experience. “They literally get to sleep on it.”

Additionally, students expressed that taking placement tests while at SOAR made for a long and stressful experience, Martin said.

A second adjustment to the program is that incoming students will have the option to complete their placement tests in traditional paper-and-pencil form or on a computer, the statement said.

Darcy Wittberger, student service coordinator at the Center for the First-Year Experience, said in an email to The Badger Herald that the addition of computer-based tests is especially exciting for tech-savvy students.

Although computer-based tests will be offered, students still cannot take tests from a remote location, as all tests must be proctored. Students who choose to take placement tests online will be charged an additional fee split into three different costs, depending on where the student takes the placement tests, according to the SOAR website.

Finally, in comparison to past years, the number of test sites and the amount of times placement tests are offered will increase, the statement said.

Increasing time and location availability for regional placement tests is a major benefit for incoming students, Martin said. She also stressed the importance of highlighting these changes to avoid confusion and ensure new students receive accurate information during the process. 

One drawback to the new program, Martin said, is that students must plan further ahead in order to complete their placement tests on time. 

“Although there will be plenty of availability, we encourage students to think well in advance about their summer plans,” Martin said.

Advisers use placement scores to help assist students in choosing the best class for their skill level. Students will receive their test results and placement decisions during SOAR, the website said.

“We’re now in the process of getting the word out to new students,” Lucas said.