Yule Ball combines charity, Harry Potter themes

yuleball_MH
Trying to capture some of the magic of the fictional Hogwarts formal, several Yule Ball partiers step onto the dance floor. Partiers had the option of wearing their fanciest clothes for a good cause­ – donations went to the Madison Children’s Hospital.[/media-credit]

One University of Wisconsin committee transformed Memorial Union’s fourth floor into a Yule Ball straight out of “Harry Potter” Saturday night for local charities.

The Wisconsin Union Directorate Publications Committee sponsored the event in an effort to raise donations and support for the Madison Children’s Hospital and the Respite Center.

The Yule Ball featured performances from the Madhatters and Badger Ballroom Dance as well as an appearance from Bucky Badger. The Publications Committee also provided space for attendees to make holiday cards for children and try Harry Potter themed food such as pumpkin squares, butterbeer and liquorice wands.

WUD Publications Committee director Sarah Mathews said the event was designed to give back to the community and promote reading for children. The Yule Ball theme was chosen because the committee wanted to tie the event into literacy.

Enthusiasm for the event spread quickly over Facebook, as nearly 3,600 people said they would be attending. This left the Publications Committee with a short amount of time to reserve a venue and plan accommodations.

Mathews said the enthusiasm for the event took her by surprise. She added Facebook settings would not allow them to send messages to more than 5,000 people, leading to confusion about the ticketing process.

In a message to The Badger Herald, committee member Cailly Morris said 650 tickets were available and sold out in an hour and a half. She added some residence halls hosted their own Yule Balls, even collecting money from participants to purchase books to donate.

Due to the fire hazard capacity, Mathews said they could not provide tickets for everyone who expressed interest in attending.

“The fact that the tickets sold out in such a short amount of time, that really blew me away,” Mathews said. “I do feel sorry about that, but there’s always next year.”

Morris said while the event took a great deal of work, the resulting donations made the challenges of planning the Yule Ball worthwhile.

“I am so pleased with how it went,” Morris said. “I am so proud of everyone who came. There are piles and piles in the office of donations. It’s just amazing to me, people coming together for a good cause and having fun.”

Overall, WUD collected 1,762 donations ranging from books to art kits to stuffed animals and DVDs, Morris said.

Attendees said they enjoyed the Ball and its relation to Harry Potter.

UW sophomores Emily Jacobson and Mackenzie Fagan said they enjoyed the event and donating to the cause.

Fagan added the event allowed people a chance to dress up in some of their best formal gear.

Despite the fun, Jacobson said the lack of tickets let down many students who were looking forward to the event.

“I know a lot of people wanted tickets and were disappointed they couldn’t get them,” Jacobson said.

Morris added the committee is looking forward to accommodating more attendees and making the Yule Ball an annual Publications Committee tradition. Mathews said she hoped the even would continue to encourage literacy in the community.

“People love Harry Potter, and they love the idea of celebrating childhood,” Mathews said. “I think it just tapped into a lot of campus demand, and I’m glad we did.”