Sigma Chi faces reduced sanctions

The University of Wisconsin Sigma Chi fraternity will face reduced sanctions this fall after the punishment levied for one of two violations committed during the spring semester was dropped by the Offices of the Dean of Students.

The sanctions were instated by the Committee on Student Organizations in May and would have kept the chapter alcohol free for most of the 2009-10 school year, according to a university statement. With the reduced punishment, the fraternity will be on probation until Oct. 16.

The dropped punishment concerned the actions of a pledge at a downtown Madison bar during a fraternity social, according to the university.

A Greek Judicial Board Notice to Appear document dated Mar. 4 describes an 18 year old Sigma Chi member who was approached by police officers Feb. 13. Upon being questioned, he said he had come from a social event at Madison Avenue Bar. Because it was a private party, he said he was not asked to show an I.D. and proceeded to consume alcohol on the premises.

The man then attempted to run from the officers, according to the document. He was later transported to the hospital.

According to the university statement, sanctions for the pledge’s actions were dropped because Sigma Chi successfully showed its due process rights were violated. After the appeal was approved by ODOS, the statement said the Committee on Student Organizations began a review of its own policies.

The remaining sanction stemmed from actions the night of April 2, when the house was found to have hosted a party as a part of their “Derby Days” week that involved unregulated alcohol. That evening, the fraternity hosted their “Derby Dub Night, Wisconsin’s Best Dance Sorority” event, which involved skits performed by sororities in the basement of the Sigma Chi house.

As a part of the remaining sanctions, Sigma Chi will work with the university to improve its Derby Days 2010 event.