Class of 2022 makes history as UW’s largest class

Fall 2018 enrollment experienced 3.8 percent increase from last year
Class of 2022 makes history as UWs largest class
Bryce Richter/University Communications

The class of 2022 at the University of Wisconsin is the largest class in school history, including the highest number of students of color in an incoming freshman class.

According to a report released Monday afternoon, UW hauled in a record amount of applicants for fall 2018.

The university has also made a noticeable effort to maintain its promise to Wisconsin families to include at least 3,600 Wisconsin residents in each freshman class. UW first made the promise in 2015 amid times of declining enrollment and this year, 3,659 Wisconsin residents became Badgers.

Declining enrollment rates across UW System campuses prompt administrative action

Vice Provost for Enrollment Management Steve Hahn is pleased with the numbers boasted by the class of 2022.

“We are very happy with what this talented freshman class says about our teaching and research reputation both at home and abroad,” Hahn said.

6,862 freshman were welcomed to campus this fall, a 3.8 percent increase from the 6,610 new students who joined UW in fall of 2017.

Numbers increased all across the board for this year’s freshman class and included students from 47 states, Puerto Rico and Guam, 748 underrepresented students of color  (students who identify as African-American, Hispanic or Latino, American Indian or Southeast Asian-American) and 595 international students from 43 countries outside the U.S.

UW international student enrollment remains steady despite national concerns

“We are incredibly proud that these new students reflect our university’s commitment to affordability, accessibility and the people of our state,” Hahn said.

Total enrollment this year was 44,413, an increase from 43,820 students in 2017. Numbers are obtained from the official school census, which is conducted every semester on the 10th day of classes.