‘Once Upon a Time’ screenwriters announced as 2017 winter commencement speakers

UW alumni Kitsis, Horowitz, best known for their work with ‘Once Upon a Time,’ ‘Lost,’ return to speak at commencement this year
Michael Lim

The University of Wisconsin announced Eddy Kitsis and Adam Horowitz Wednesday as the 2017 winter commencement speakers in a YouTube video Wednesday. 

Kitsis and Horowitz are successful television screenwriters and graduated from UW in 1994. Both men currently write for “Once Upon a Time,” the ABC fantasy television show they jointly created in 2011.

‘Modern Family’ creator announced as spring 2017 commencement speaker

Horowitz and Kitsis have engaged in several screenwriting projects together. Both producers wrote for the ABC drama television series “Lost” before undertaking the creation of their own show in 2011. Kitsis and Horowitz won Writers Guild of America Award for Best Dramatic Series for their writing in the series’ first and second seasons.

In 2016, Kitsis and Horowitz also wrote the supernatural horror television series “Dead of Summer,” which premiered on ABC before being cancelled after a single season.

In a YouTube video produced by UW, actress Lana Parrilla, who plays “The Evil Queen” in “Once Upon a Time,” announced Kitsis and Horowitz as the speakers. In the video, Parrilla appeared in character as The Evil Queen.

Winter commencement will take place in the Kohl Center on Dec. 17 at 10 a.m.