‘Nightmare’ in Indianapolis stretches beyond the football field

More than 60 band members fell ill at the game
Jason Chan

Stomach disturbances made an already sad return trip from Indianapolis doubly difficult for Univeristy of Wisconsin band members.

A few members of the UW band fell ill before kickoff, according to university communications. The number increased to nine by halftime, senior band member Konnor Beaulier said, and even more through the night and into the next day.

Members who fell ill during the game were treated by on-site medical personnel.

In all, more than 60 band members reported experiencing nausea, diarrhea or vomiting, Meredith McGlone, UW spokesperson, said. 

Nearly the entire band made the trip to Indianapolis and stayed in the same hotel for the Championship.

https://badgerherald.com/sports/2016/09/04/in-photos-uw-fans-fairytale-comes-true-with-badger-win-at-lambeau/

So far, McGlone said a cause has not been identified. The Marion County Health Department in Indiana is investigating.

“I didn’t get sick but I also don’t know what caused it,” Beaulier said.“My first guess would be chicken we were offered for lunch at our hotel that not everyone ate. The health department of Indianapolis is also investigating it so I think they’ll figure it out eventually. But Jesus Christ it was a nightmare.”