Judge denies motion to stay right-to-work law

Attorney general looks to appeal to higher court

Dane County Judge William Foust denied Wisconsin’s motion to stay the right-to-work law Monday.

Foust struck down the right-to-work law, calling it “unconstitutional” on April 8 and permanently prohibited all parts of the state from upholding any part of the law on April 15. He said in a statement that the law takes private property from labor unions without fair compensation. Attorney General Brad Schimel filed an April 18 motion against Foust’s ruling. Foust struck down this motion Monday.

Schimel looks to stay ruling against right-to-work law

Michael Wagner, University of Wisconsin journalism and mass communication professor, said it would be surprising if Wisconsin did not retaliate to Foust’s current decision in some way or another. He said it is likely that Schimel will seek a stay in a higher court.

Wagner said the Wisconsin Supreme Court elections could play a key role in whether or not right-to-work is upheld in Wisconsin.

“It is a pretty contentious issue,” Wagner said. “It highlights the importance of who gets elected to serve on the upper courts.”

Unions denied injunction in right-to-work lawsuit

Wisconsin AFL-CIO President Phil Neuenfeldt said in a statement that the union is “pleased” with Foust’s decision. Stephanie Bloomingdale, Wisconsin AFL‐CIO secretary‐treasurer, said it is important to keep unions strong for Wisconsin’s economy.

Schimel said in a statement that Wisconsin will try to seek a stay in the Court of Appeals.

“We are disappointed our motion for stay in the right-to-work case was denied in Dane County Circuit Court and plan to seek stay in the Court of Appeals, where we feel confident this law will be upheld,” Schimel said.