MPD looks locally for its upcoming officer recruitment class

Critics say community needs more social services, not more officers

Due to growing tension from Madisonians over hiring and training practices, the Madison Police Department is aiming to be more transparent with citizens and hire “homegrown” talent.

Over the course of the years, Sgt. Tim Patton said people have felt the department doesn’t know what they’re doing and has exclusively recruited officers outside of Wisconsin. With its hiring season coming to a close Nov. 2, Patton said the department has been looking for ways to increase their presence.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said the department is looking for people who are living and working in the city of Madison, going to school here and serving its community and citizens.

Brandi Grayson of the community group Young, Gifted and Black said the organization has always demanded the officers sent to patrol the neighborhoods are from there.

“I live on the south side,” Grayson said. “In about two years, you know everybody. But when something takes place in the neighborhood, people are more likely to proactively talk to you and be more accountable for their neighborhood versus someone who has never been around people of color.”

She also said YGB has said many times they need less police officers on patrol.

Instead, Grayson said the community would be better served if it had more human and social services, as well as resources to help counter the poverty that leads to crime.

“We have to ask the question of why we’re looking to invest in more police officers when the community has asked for more resources, instead of more officers,” Grayson said. “We’re getting more of what we don’t need.”

But Patton said the department is focusing on strengthening the relationship with citizens and searching for collaborative solutions to do so.

As part of MPD’s final push to attract prospective candidates, it launched its first billboard in 25 years on the Beltline east of Fish Hatchery Road.

“We wanted to use it to increase our footprint with potential homegrown talent,” Patton said. “We wanted to be on that main corridor in the center of Madison, the heart. And we’re hoping that while people are in traffic, they’ll look at the billboard, ask what it’s about and contact us.”

Patton said the department recognizes the value of connecting with those with the calling and dedication to serve.

“We talk so often about the profession of policing being a calling,” Patton said. “But we’ve also noted that many people have a calling to serve Madison for a variety of reasons. We want to call upon all of those and bring them into the forefront.”